Used bixby suet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tyroark

Nov 24, 2020
Indiana
I bought a used Bixby max fire.Got it running good but door glass turns black quickly.Have to wipe it off twice a day.I burn 75%corn 25% pellets.Any help?

Think you mean 'SOOT" not suet. Suet is what birds eat........ :)

Every stove I've ever seen dirty the view glass, it's a matter of life and so is cleaning it (if you like seeing the flame, in my case it's not all that critical.

Like I said, the all do that, especially on lower settings because they don't get internally hot enough to burn off the soot and change it from black to light grey which you can see through. Crank it up a bit to keep the view glass transparent, well, not black but light grey because it will still get fly ash on it.

I like to keep a paint brush with natural bristles handy (don't use a ploy bristle brush, it will melt to the view glass and that ain't good.... Open the door while the stove is running and brush off the glass with the paint brush and call it good for a day or so.

You MUST run ANY stove in the higher ranges to keep the view glass somewhat transparent. LOW settings will always blacken the glass, don't matter what brand of unit it is.

The manufacturers 'air wash' is just that. Hot air and no wash.

I do 75-25 myself. The pellets keep the corn clinkers under control.

Lazy flames equal dirty glass. If I'm running my bixby on a lower setting I always turn the feed rate down and exhaust rate up. Seems mine only gets really dirty when I burn on low for long periods. Another thing to try is cleaning the air wash. The ash can build up and impede air flow. Buy a small can of compressed air and blow out the passage way between the glass and Ash pan. Good luck

The inherent issue with upping the combustion draft when running at lower PPH settings is, the increased flow of combustion air pulls the developed (from combustion) heat out of the stove too quickly so in essence, you are heating the venting and not your dwelling. You always want the longest dwell time for the combustion process to remain in the heat exchangers which is why most stoves are have adjustable parameters in the first place.

I continuously 'tune' my unit for optimal burn rate. Burn rate will depend on outside temperature via the outside air intake, room (ambient temperature) and the quality and moisture content of the fuel you burn as well and it can vary from fill to fill and usually does.

Think you mean 'SOOT" not suet. Suet is what birds eat........ :)

Every stove I've ever seen dirty the view glass, it's a matter of life and so is cleaning it (if you like seeing the flame, in my case it's not all that critical.

Like I said, the all do that, especially on lower settings because they don't get internally hot enough to burn off the soot and change it from black to light grey which you can see through. Crank it up a bit to keep the view glass transparent, well, not black but light grey because it will still get fly ash on it.

I like to keep a paint brush with natural bristles handy (don't use a ploy bristle brush, it will melt to the view glass and that ain't good.... Open the door while the stove is running and brush off the glass with the paint brush and call it good for a day or so.

You MUST run ANY stove in the higher ranges to keep the view glass somewhat transparent. LOW settings will always blacken the glass, don't matter what brand of unit it is.

The manufacturers 'air wash' is just that. Hot air and no wash.

I do 75-25 myself. The pellets keep the corn clinkers under control.
So I’m running the same blend.The Bixby has a corn and pellet switch.I’ve been running it on corn.Not even sure what it changes.Any advice which setting I should use?

If it works, use it. I don't have a Bixby, the one I have burns anything and I adjust the parameters via the control panel, no switch.

When it's on corn setting the air pump and igniter have a longer run time on start up . It may also change the parameters of ash dump cycles. I have run mine either way with both types of fuel no real performance difference that I could tell