used fireview value?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepinto65

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
Webster, MA
found a 10 year old fireview for sale on craigslist. Seller is asking $1000 for it but imo thats a little much. What do you guys feel is a fair offer/value for it? I know a lot depends on the condition of it and I am setting up a time this week to inspect it.

Thanks

Condition, the amount of use it's seen, the age of the catalyst would all play in. If rarely used, in great shape, and with an almost new catalyst, It could be a good deal. If beat, bent and needing parts, then probably not.

Thanks BeGreen, been talking back and forth via emails with the seller. Hes seems confident that 900 is the lowest hed go so I offered 800 to him tomorrow upon inspecting the stove. I think that is probably a little more fair seeing as 10 years ago the stove sold for around 1500. Any one know if the airwash worked as well on the older stoves?

With the deal Woodstock has going on now you can get a brand new one for $1500. Let him know that, and offer him half that, or better yet buy a new one.

If it's only 10 years old it should be the newer 205 model, they started making them back in 1997. It should have the model number on the back UL plate.

Our Fireview is nearly 18 yrs. old and we purchased it new. We've never had any trouble with the airwash for the window. If it does get sooty initially it burns right off when the fire gets rollin' and the temperature starts to rise. We have never used our stove as a disposal unit and have made burning quality, seasoned wood a priority over the years. We have put 3 catalytic combustors in the stove so far.

When buying used, one must keep in mind what it would cost to buy new. Looking at today's deals I'd say that is too high.

A woodstove is like a car in that it suffers major depreciation when going from new to used. The original could have overfired it or rebuilt it shoddily in the past. Also consider that the cat converter needs to be replaced every so often and will cost you a hundred bucks or so.

So take the super sale price now of 1500$ remove the 100$ cost of the new cat you need, remove the value of the warranty, remove the value of the "new stove smell", remove the value of knowing that it hasn't been overfired or abused, remove the value of any faded paint or screatched stones, remove the value of any potential design changes or improvements, remove the value of choosing your color and stones, etc.

I'd pay half of new at most. That would be for a like new, nearly unfired stove in excellent condition and includes the paper manuals.

thanks guys, ill see what i can get him down too.....might just have to spend the extra dollar and go new tho!

I just bought a new one direct from Woodstock (paid the deposit) for $1483 ($1235 discount) plus $100 shipping. Shipping includes stove and chimney pieces. It gets down to $1483 because of the $635 federal tax credit. Of course I'll get the $635 back in one year, assuming that the federal government isn't bankrupt before then.

Good luck with your deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.