Used PE Summit and pipe install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PNWCoast

Mar 14, 2018
Northern California
I am new to this forum and been dong some research on here. But I recently purchased a home with a damaged wood stove. The house is around 2,600 sq ft. The lender had me remove the wood stove and cap the dw pipe before they would approve the loan. Currently, there are about 3 ft of dw piping sticking down from the ceiling. I would like to install a wood stove and found a five year old PE Summit. The owners want $750 for the PE Summit. I also plan on connecting a new dw piping from the wood stove to the dw pipe on the ceiling. Is $750.00 for a used 5 year old Summit be a fair price and is there some kind of adapter to connect a new dw pipe to the dw pipe in the ceiling, or would it be better to just install all new piping?

Last edited by a moderator:
If the Summit is in good condition and has not been overfired or abused then $750 is a good price. Inspect the innards of the stove carefully. Look for warping of the baffle and the door glass air deflector. Check out the firebrick too. At 5 yrs, the stove is probably ready for a door gasket replacement. Not a big deal if done properly with the factory oem gasket replacement.

Can you post some pictures of the stove, the insides and a clear shot of the UL label on the rear of the stove? Also post some pictures of the current dw pipe for identification.

Used PE Summit and pipe install question Used PE Summit and pipe install question
If the Summit is in good condition and has not been overfired or abused then $750 is a good price. Inspect the innards of the stove carefully. Look for warping of the baffle and the door glass air deflector. Check out the firebrick too. At 5 yrs, the stove is probably ready for a door gasket replacement. Not a big deal if done properly with the factory oem gasket replacement.

Can you post some pictures of the stove, the insides and a clear shot of the UL label on the rear of the stove? Also post some pictures of the current dw pipe for identification.

Im currently at work, but the only pictures I have are from the ad. I texted the owner for pictures of the inside and label on the back. The owner had indicated that it is still in great condition. Once I get the pictures, I will post it up, along with the pictures of the current dw pipe.

Hopefully the owner's assessment is accurate. If so, it's a good deal. The UL label will show the actual age.

Is it just me or is Cali the current wood stove hotspot:) Seems like this is the 3rd thread from there interested in installing a stove. Plenty of pics of your install location/pipe etc. will help these guys decipher your questions.

Welcome PNWcoast!

Used PE Summit and pipe install question Used PE Summit and pipe install question
Here is a picture of the current stove pipes. It is at least 20 ft to the end cap. I didn’t have a long enough ladder so I couldn’t take a picture of what the pipe looks like on the inside, but I remember when it was taken down, the secondary pipe was like a skirt what went around the primary pipe. This house was built in 1988, so I’m guessing that the pipes are not like todays pipes.

Last edited by a moderator: