used PE Super 27

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sub100

Hearth Supporter
Sep 29, 2010
missouri
I am considering buying a used PE Super 27. The stove doesn't appear to have been abused, however, I didn't see the baffle retaining pin or the siderail insulation sticking out like in the new ones. Would the insulation be visable in a stove that's been used? It's the D series and approx 6 years old. Since the pin is missing, I'm assuming that the baffle has been taken out at some point. Should I be concerned if the stove has been used without the siderail insulation? Should I take out the baffle and take a look at it? The siderails and baffle don't appear to be warped, the finish on the stove is good and I didn't see any visable cracks. Any info you can give me on how to inspect the stove would be appreciated. He's firm at $800.00.

Probably is missing the little gasket for the baffle as well. The side rail insulation is important and should be there. Pull the baffle out and check. The pin, less so. The baffle is held captive by the secondary feed tube once the baffle is in place. Call a PE dealer to get the price on replacement insulation. Or get some kaowool 1" blanket insulation and cut up your own. If the stove is 6 yrs old, he probably paid about $11-1200 for the stove. Have $750 cash in hand for the offer if the insulation is missing.

Not sure what the cost of the stove was 6 years ago but I bought a new PE Super 27 last month on sale for $1,250. It's just the plain door and pedestal base but the regular price was almost $1,600. I haven't had much experience with it yet but so far the stove is great. Looking forward to when I can really see the full potential of the stove.

Don't forget that there's a 30% tax credit (rebate at tax time) on a new stove, before you account for how much cheaper the used one might be.

So after the tax credit my brand new Super 27 will end up costing me $875. That was one of the reasons I jumped on the sale while it was still going on.

albertj03 said:
So after the tax credit my brand new Super 27 will end up costing me $875. That was one of the reasons I jumped on the sale while it was still going on.

I just paid 1600 for my new super 27. Where the heck did you find your steal at?

mrfjsf said:
albertj03 said:

I just paid 1600 for my new super 27. Where the heck did you find your steal at?

Local dealer about 20 minutes from my house had a sale for the month of August and PE was giving away the ash system for free. Got the plain black door, pedestal base and ash system for $1,250.

albertj03 said:
mrfjsf said:
albertj03 said:

Local dealer about 20 minutes from my house had a sale for the month of August and PE was giving away the ash system for free. Got the plain black door, pedestal base and ash system for $1,250.

Very nice sir! Heck of a deal! My stove is the same...They called it the Super 27 Heritage. It came from factory with ash system, it wasn't an add on. I guess it was some kind of anniversary thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.