Used Quad Isle Royal or new Englander 30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bassmaster17327

Hearth Supporter
I have been asking alot of questions and spent a lot of time on this site over the past week trying to decide what stove to buy. with all of your help I have narrowed it down to two stoves, A used (2006) Quad Isle Royale for 1250.00 and two hours away or a new Englander 30nch at home depot for 999.00. The wife likes the looks of the Isle Royale but for me unless the quad is a much better stove I can not see spending more for a used stove than a new one, What do you guys think?

I love my 30-NC. But in your place I would be all over that Isle Royale if it is in good shape.

It looks in good shape from the picture, it has somthing on the top of the stove that looks like a patio block on the outside. The only thing I do not like is that it is flat black and not enamel

A thirty five hundred dollar three cubic foot top loader. That the wife likes. And either one is gonna be flat black.

You ain't on the road yet? :mad:

Tell me where to find it and we will race.

Local dealer has the isle royale new with enamel coating for 2600.00, that is still 1400 more than the used one. Is a used Isle Royale better than a new Englander 30

Though it pains me mightily to say it, if it is in good shape. Yes. But being a used stove you won't have a warranty and nobody to turn to if you have problems. Or access to the 30% tax credit till the end of this month. With the 30 the ESW folks are better than they come.

Now, tell me where I can find that IR. :lol: Hopefully that two hours is in my direction.

Thats going to be a toughie considering the tax credit. both are good stoves. Many folks rave about the englander. We like our IR.

Maybe you could reason with the seller over the fact that the englander is 1k-300 tax credit for 700??

On the other hand, I always say a happy wife is a happy life.

I explained the tax credit to him and he would only come down to 1250.00. I was trying hard to get him to take 1100.00 but he would not do it. I figure it is 1250.00 and I will have another 50-75 in gas to make the two hour trip each way. Is there any benefits besides top load that would make a used Isle Royale worth more than a new englander 30? I do not know much about stoves so I do not want to have to make any repairs and that is why I was leaning towards a new one

Your Wife is right - again.

Get the Isle Royle.

Good luck,
Bill

bassmaster17327 said:
I explained the tax credit to him and he would only come down to 1250.00. I was trying hard to get him to take 1100.00 but he would not do it. I figure it is 1250.00 and I will have another 50-75 in gas to make the two hour trip each way. Is there any benefits besides top load that would make a used Isle Royale worth more than a new englander 30? I do not know much about stoves so I do not want to have to make any repairs and that is why I was leaning towards a new one

You have legitimate concerns, and I won't tell you which stove to buy. There's something appealing about a new
stove with a warranty when you don't really know what to look for when inspecting a used stove. I've had my Isle
Royale, plain black, for three years, and it hasn't needed any repairs other than a fiberboard baffle replaced under
warranty. I'm very satisfied with my stove. We like the styling, the cast iron, the big double doors. Tough choice,
especially with the tax credit. I don't think anyone will say that the used Isle Royale is going to heat your home
better. If anything, it's got a slightly smaller firebox. Then there is the wife factor...

The wife is not really an issue with the look, I know she likes the Isle Royale but she would be ok with the anything as long as she is warm. Now if I spend 1250.00 on a used stove, haul it 450 miles to our cabin, up the 60 outside stairsteps and then it does not work right.. that would be a problem

Count me out. It is up by Philadelphia. Too far to drive and a guy two miles from me makes a great cheesesteak.

Sounds like you are itchin' to buy an Englander. You will be fine with it. Enjoy.

bassmaster17327 said:
It is in PA, He wanted 1500 and I got him to come down to 1250.00. I would post pictures of it but I can not figure out how to post them

Where in PA? I could always use a fourth stove! ;-)

BrotherBart said:
Count me out. It is up by Philadelphia. Too far to drive and a guy two miles from me makes a great cheesesteak.

I'm 90 minutes from Philly.

Bassmaster, in case you didn't know, Bart is the founder and president of the 30-NC club. His endorsement of the IR may indicate that extra consideration is deserved. If it's to be installed in a remote cabin, you might be on your own for service, whether the stove is new or used. If so, all a warranty gets you is free parts. Maybe read up on the IR and see if any expensive parts typically need replacement. . .

Good luck with your trip. Let us know how it turns out.

It was awful for the two of us to get it up the 60 stair steps to get it in the house and we chipped the handle for the top load. It burns ALOT nicer than the one I had. I bought a stove thermometer but forgot to take it with me so I was so worried about over firing it that I never really cranked it up.

I did have some trouble getting the fire started when the stove was cold, even with all the air intakes open it still semed like it was not getting enough air and i had to keep the door cracked for about 30 minutes befor i could close it without the fire dieing down. I think I might need to make the chimney taller

Status
Not open for further replies.