used stove -buying tips

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Make sure you see it run before buying.

It can be ran outside with no flue connected. Just start it up (bring a small jumper wire (6" long or so, with both ends stripped).

Once you see it run, you can go from there with cleaning and so forth. The Castile and Santa Fe are the easiest to clean Quads out there. IMO. But making sure it all works is #1 in my book. $2,000 isnt bad, but have you tried to counter offer (say $1,800?).

Reactions: Defiant
I snagged my 06 with pipe and base for 900 a couple years ago and its a red. I wouldn't start higher than $1500.00

We sold a castile a while back for 1k it was 2 years old i would start low can always go up but never back down

I've been noticing the price of used stoving climbing in just the last month or so. You can't touch a Harman in my area for less than 2k and there are a ton of quadrafire Santa Fe's for 1200-1300. A look through Craigslist in my area you would think the only stoves sold were Accentras and Sante FE. I've been on the lookout for a used p38 for months and the few ive seen have been advertised at near new prices. The local stove shop has them brand new for 2400 but I was hoping for a used one for a lot less.

I've been noticing the price of used stoving climbing in just the last month or so. You can't touch a Harman in my area for less than 2k and there are a ton of quadrafire Santa Fe's for 1200-1300. A look through Craigslist in my area you would think the only stoves sold were Accentras and Sante FE. I've been on the lookout for a used p38 for months and the few ive seen have been advertised at near new prices. The local stove shop has them brand new for 2400 but I was hoping for a used one for a lot less.

Where are you located? Here is a CHEAP Quad Castile.... Super Cheap. With stat and pipes.. $500

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/for/3253731412.html

IMO, too much $$ for a 6 yr. old stove, even w/ the pipe & pellets. Offer $1500 ONLY after seeing it run in person.

The link I just posted was a 7 yr old stove with vent and stat for $500....

That's a motivated seller thats being realistic. IMO

I know someone that is going to be selling a castile 06 that has only been test burned for 1500.00. The burn pot isn't even hardly discolored.

I would low ball them, that's to much money for a stove the old.

Status
Not open for further replies.