Used VC Encore

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Haha! Good one and quick!

I don't want to jinx it. My encore runs like a bimmer after the complete rebuild, plus the reckless mode.

I feel if I keep praising it, it will start backpuffing, fireback glowing, refractory failing.....etc

I know the VC stoves are the most disliked ones on the forum. I will say it again, 95% of them failing is caused by the user!
Yes but most other manufactuers have the same issues with user error yet they dont have nearly the failure rate of vc.

And btw it is not just this forum. They are disliked by the majority of pros in the industry

But to be clear i dislike us stove company way more than i dislike vc. Lol

Yes but most other manufactuers have the same issues with user error yet they dont have nearly the failure rate of vc.

If you are talking about failure rates in cat and Everburn models built before 2010 I would agree, but if you referring to the current Flexburn (2N1) models with the hardened refractory material I just don't see it.

If you are talking about failure rates in cat and Everburn models built before 2010 I would agree, but if you referring to the current Flexburn (2N1) models with the hardened refractory material I just don't see it.
I do yes they are better but still way behind the rest of the industry. And it seems they will be untill they abandon the down draft idea.

Btw how many stoves do you work on a year? How many of them are vc and how many are other manufacturers?

I think if they would figure out a better refractory materials (and I think they are working on it) jury is still out on the 2040 refractory design. And a much larger cat, it might work. Prevent backpuffing, cat melting. I am not sure why they actually went with a 1" thick cat.....way too small in my opinion

Btw how many stoves do you work on a year? How many of them are vc and how many are other manufacturers?

Bholler,
How many stoves do you work on per year and how many are VCs?

Bholler,
How many stoves do you work on per year and how many are VCs?
Roughly 500 stoves a year 20 or 30 are vc. 5 are the new ones. 3 have already needed parts

if that's one of those down draft stoves run away. I just had a VC refractory baffle disintegrate on me 10 years old. I used to get very defensive when some bad mouthed my VC dutchwest, but I knew in the back of my head it was a very poor stove, sorry to say

if that's one of those down draft stoves run away. I just had a VC refractory baffle disintegrate on me 10 years old. I used to get very defensive when some bad mouthed my VC dutchwest, but I knew in the back of my head it was a very poor stove, sorry to say
You got way more time out of it than most. But to be fair you are talking about the old design

Roughly 500 stoves a year 20 or 30 are vc. 5 are the new ones. 3 have already needed parts

That is a good amount of serviced stoves. I assume that the VC stoves all required major repairs, based on your take on the line

That is a good amount of serviced stoves. I assume that the VC stoves all required major repairs, based on your take on the line
Not most of the new ones yet only one needed major work but a large percentage of the older ones have yes

Not most of the new ones yet only one needed major work but a large percentage of the older ones have yes

Again, I believe it stems from pure user neglect. I have seen it.

Yes and again most other stoves on the market will stand up to it.

Again,

I do not want to jinx it. After the rebuilt, I am half way through its third season. I burn 24/7 and purposely let it go out during thaws. Every time I go to remove the hood shield I expect it to be warped. Once removed I expect to see a crumbled cat and deformed refractory. So far all looks in mint shape.

Am I doing something wrong?

All thank to this forum and very knowledgeable members (bholler, Reckless, all the VC posters here..etc).

Thanks Hearth.com!

Yes and again most other stoves on the market will stand up to it.

I am not disagreeing with you.

But if you want to put a Mercedes through a mud pit, then you might as well get a Dodge.......(Hemi perhaps).....

How many stoves do you service? What percentage vc?

I am not disagreeing with you.

But if you want to put a Mercedes through a mud pit, then you might as well get a Dodge.......(Hemi perhaps).....
The difference is most mercedes are not made to go through a mud pit. Vc stoves are made to heat your home and that is what people are trying to do with them. It has to be one of 2 things. Either vc stoves ate to hard to run correctly and to delicate. Or vc owners vc owners are disproportionatly morons who cant run their stoves. I am leaning towards the first one how about you?

Way back when and a wee lad living in Ct (and must have owned a VC) I attended an open house at the factory. They had a massive electric vat as I recall that kept the iron molten. They said if the electricity went out to this unit for too long it would ruin it. They showed the sand casting process which was fascinating. Much much older now I live in Vt and last summer I went to look at a pinball machine for sale. The house was directly across from the main entrance to the factory. The old pinball machine was in much better shape than the factory.

One VC thus far.
Ok so you really dont have and frame of reference to compare the durability of vc versus other stoves on the market.

The difference is most mercedes are not made to go through a mud pit. Vc stoves are made to heat your home and that is what people are trying to do with them. It has to be one of 2 things. Either vc stoves ate to hard to run correctly and to delicate. Or vc owners vc owners are disproportionatly morons who cant run their stoves. I am leaning towards the first one how about you?

I think it is a bit of both. These stoves like most are just space heates, not meant to heat complete homes. This is what morons come to play.

I think it is a bit of both. These stoves like most are just space heates, not meant to heat complete homes. This is what morons come to play.
So are all other freestanding stoves that people use to heat their whole homes with including mine. And most of them hold up fine.

Ok so you really dont have and frame of reference to compare the durability of vc versus other stoves on the market.

Of course not. Any knowledge I have is from members here.