Useing a tee in a horizontal run??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gripper93

Oct 1, 2009
central ohio
Has anyone ever used a Tee in an horizontal run. my pipe leaves the stove runs 2 feet threw the wall and than is 18" from the outside wall. My local stove guy says that code here is 18". I found a tee at a local tractor supply for 5 bucks and bought it just cause I thought it was a good deal didn't really need it but,Anyway I thught about using it in the run outside to get me further away from the combustible wall. If I take out the clean-out and put it in the side it makes me a horizontial run about 10" with a bottom or top cleanout. my question is will this work or just make a lot of ash and cleanup for me?

I'd try and exchange the Tee for a straight piece before I would use it. Even if it's another store, it would be better in my opinion.

code in your area states the pipe has to terminate no less than 18" from the outside wall?

No neeed for a T in a horizontal vent... IMHO. Mine is T-less.

gripper93 said:
Has anyone ever used a Tee in an horizontal run. my pipe leaves the stove runs 2 feet threw the wall and than is 18" from the outside wall. My local stove guy says that code here is 18". I found a tee at a local tractor supply for 5 bucks and bought it just cause I thought it was a good deal didn't really need it but,Anyway I thught about using it in the run outside to get me further away from the combustible wall. If I take out the clean-out and put it in the side it makes me a horizontial run about 10" with a bottom or top cleanout. my question is will this work or just make a lot of ash and cleanup for me?

A straight piece is always preferable, but for 5 bucks, put the cap on the side, put it on top so it doesn't fill w/ ash, and use it! Operation wise, I doubt you'll notice anything different.

maybe im being silly but wouldnt it be easer to clean with the t

I would think about a vertical run out side the house to help with draft, if the stove losses power this will keep smoke form entering into you house. If you decide to do this you will need a T.

Status
Not open for further replies.