Using a stove that's bigger than what you need - does this create problems for the stove burn system

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adb3

Feb 17, 2008
FL
I need a stove to heat about 1500 ft2, but i like the Quadrafire 3100 and 4300. For our area they are rated at 2000 to 2500 ft2. Would this be a problem if I used the stove at 60-75% of it's rated output?

thanks,

Don't think it would hurt your burn cycles. Just going to put out some serious heat. Why do you want ti go so much bigger thank you need? I guess if your house is real leaky it will serve better maybe.

The info I find on the internet rates the stove very highly and my wife likes the style. The only stove dealer in our area carries only this brand. the smallest one (3100) is rated for 2000 ft2. So, in that style there is very little choice.

I would not oversize a non-catalytic stove in Florida.

Normally I am a big proponent of going bigger . . . but this is with the caveat that you should maybe go one size larger . . . this seems a bit large. Most stoves do best when they are loaded . . . don't get me wrong . . . you can still burn half loads, but I know with the Oslo I get longer, better burns when I've loaded 'er up and it's full steam ahead.

Any chance you can find a stove that would suit your needs a bit better . . . and still be one that you and your wife like the looks of?

You are looking at the 3100 because she likes the step top right? The stove should do fine for you. A EPA stove doesn't have to be packed full and burning like the fires of hell to burn cleanly. And a couple of cubic feet of wood will burn just as long in a large stove as it will in a small stove. You just have to learn how to operate it.

Didnt see that u were from fla. Ya might be a little much.

A two cubic foot firebox isn't gonna be too much stove.

Assume we're talking Tallahassee, not Key West weather. Two cu ft is fine, but I'd get a cat stove myself.

Two cu. ft. firebox should do you well.

How about looking at a soapstone stove? You do not have to purchase locally. The good folks at Woodstock sell direct only and they have some beautiful stoves which also pour out some serious heat.

Woodstock soapstone stoves

I have a similar sized home as you. And I have a 2 cu fr stove rated for 2000sq ft. I know I am in a cooler climate that you, but i burn when the temps are in the 40s and lower 50s and indont over heat my house. I could if I wanted to but once you get the hang of it it will be fine. just don't overload the stove and you can still burn efficiently. You can have the same fire in a medium size stove as you can in a small stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.