1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Using Bark and Splitting Leftovers

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by WarmGuy, Oct 31, 2013.

1. WarmGuy

WarmGuy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Far Northern Calif. Coast
    After splitting about 7 quarts of wood, I have lots of little pieces of bark and other leftovers. Sometimes I load up paper bags with these things and burn them. Any other ideas for making use of this stuff ?

Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. new_wood

new_wood Member

Loc:
    Lebanon, Ohio
    I save the larger pieces of bark and other leftovers in a can and use when starting fires.
  3. Brewmonster

Brewmonster Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Central NJ
    Quarts??
  4. Augie

Augie Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    North Of Canada
    Mine goes into the compost pile. with a little Urea during the year It will be broken down into great soil by the following year for my maters.
  5. USMC80

USMC80 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    split so much this year (about 13 cord) that I have tons of bark, small kindling and cookies left. Its really all i've been burning for the shoulder season. Haven't even broken into my stacks yet really. I also use a lot for cold startups or if there is a little coal bed left. Just throw it right on
  6. lml999

lml999 Member

Loc:
    Metrowest Boston
    If you used small bags, you could hand them out for Halloween. :)
  7. red oak

red oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northwest Virginia
    At least he didn't say face quarts :)

And I use the bark for kindling/firestarter. I collect a few boxes and let it dry out - it does fine for that.
  8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    For sure you meant cord of wood. My wife usually picks up the pieces after splitting. As for the bark, if we use it, then it goes into low spots in some of the trails in the woods. You can burn the bark if you like but you get lots of smoke and ashes for a little bit of heat. On the other hand, those tiny pieces you get, let them dry before you bad them and then you can use them as kindling wood.
  9. Nico1986

Nico1986 New Member

Loc:
    Shirley ny
    I like to use the splits scrap for kindling usually pack a couple garbage pails of it or some plastic tubs and leave it on deck. I've burnt the bark in past and still do when it's not that cold out. And also have used it for compost the bark breaks down fairly quick and give u a nice soil for ur garden.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  10. My Oslo heats my home

My Oslo heats my home Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore, MA
    The bark goes bye bye when I cut and split. I have no real use for it as a by product. I will however keep all the wood, use it for shoulder burning. Scraps, shorts and uglies will make the stove this month and next. This year I had my highest amount of collected wood scraps, 3 pallets, 3 ft high.
  11. Charles1981

Charles1981 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I throw it all on a huge tarp, drag it into my pole barn, and then use it to start fires.
  12. osagebow

osagebow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I split on a old 6x6 rug and have the boys fill up buckets with good kindling. I use the bark and the rest for mulch.
  13. Paulywalnut

Paulywalnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    Bark goes to the landscape salvage dump. Ugs and cookies I stack on a stone wall on my property.
    They season a little quicker there. Great for early season burning. Pain to store though really. Hate to
    just chuck them.
  14. PDXpyro

PDXpyro Member

Loc:
    NW Oregon
    Saw a local CL firewood ad about a week ago in which the prospective seller was referring to "pints" of wood, and used the term three times in the ad! Wish I'd saved it...

I can decipher the likely meaning of a "quart," but pint still has me, er, stumped.
    Backwoods Savage and BillLion like this.
  15. MrWhoopee

MrWhoopee Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shingletown, Northern California (elev. 4000 ft.)
    I see you're in Northern California, so I have to ask what kind of bark?

For general splitter debris and dribblings:
    P1000966.JPG

If it's Doug Fir bark, try this:
    P1010011.JPG

Doug fir bark makes a great, hot barbeque. Burn it down just like hardwood or briquettes, once the flame is out, your ready. No flavor, just lots of heat.
    ailanthus likes this.
  16. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA

1) compost it

2) burn it (inside or out)

3) rake it out thin and smooth and let nature take it's course

4) leave it were it lies

5) meh
  17. PA Fire Bug

PA Fire Bug Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Blair County, PA
    I use it for mulch. It lasts much longer than typical mulch which as been ground into smaller pieces.
  18. Brewmonster

Brewmonster Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Central NJ
    Another vote for mulch.
  19. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Some splitting scraps I'll bag up and use . . . either in the fire pit to get things going or I'll save it for kindling in the woodstove later on.

Bark . . . typically whatever drops off is left there on the ground whether it be while splitting or moving it from the drying stacks to the woodshed . . . I figure it will just help nourish the soil and perhaps help to keep down the grass near the stacks and in my work area. That said, I don't go out of my way to peel it off either.
  20. Applesister

Applesister Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    My vote is for saving scraps. Rake up the peelings and bark chunks and wood slivers. stored in cardboard boxes and used for kindling.
    Small limbs(twigs) get chipped and mulched. They are spread on trails.
    Bug infested and diseased gets burned in a brush pile.
  21. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    I save some of the splitter scrap, I do not like screwing around with the bark, some bark stays laying in the splitting area, the rest goes by by ,burn it in the pit or throw it in the woods
  22. blades

blades Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI, Milw
    Bark and punky stuff through the chipper for mulch and other assorted tiny stuff. larger stuff get used fior shoulder season.
  23. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    Trail mulch.

I figure I'm giving back for abusing the trail with the weight of the tractor.

+1 with too much ash and too little heat for the effort.
  24. CTFIRE

CTFIRE Member

I lay it down as ground cover and build my Holtzholdens on top of it. Makes a nice sepration between the ground and stack
  25. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern CT
    I usally clean up the spliting area into some trash cans. On days when I'm home and working around the yard or shop I'll wait until I have a good bed of coals and start throwing stuff in. It burns like a blast furnace but dosen't last long. As long as I'm already hanging around I figure I might as well get the BTUs that I've worked for. There have been days when I've rasied the tank temp from 135 to 175 and kept the house warm all on scraps. Its that much less wood I have to burn and I had to gather it up anyway.