using elbow instead of tee?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostock

Oct 27, 2010
Sharpsburg Maryland
sorry if this is duplicate, thought i posted already but can't find it:)

connecting flex liner to wood stove (rear vent,) - can i skip a tee and go with simple pipe elbow? the tee i have is too long (snout), wants the stove to sit way too far forward (eating up most of the hearth space in front of stove). Smaller Tees (shorter snout) seem to run in th $75-$100 range online, seems high...any advice would be most appreciated.

Better to just trim the tee snout. An elbow will make cleaning the chimney more difficult.

It will depend on the stove and installation. A T is gonna be best, all-in-all, but I had a cookstove in the kitchen with the pipe running into the back side thru an elbow to transition from straight-up-to-the-ceiling run of stovepipe. It was quite easy to slip the elbow back out of the stove and remove it for cleaning. It was this way for probably 20 yr. and worked great in my situation. There was enough movement in my pipe that I could wriggle the elbow [after removing screws here and there in the pipe] and ease it back out with no trouble at all.

no question about it, cleaning with a tee will be much easier... I will probably just trim the snout and go about it. I wasn't sure if there was also a difference in material or heat tolerances (tee vs. elbow) that would prove critical.

Status
Not open for further replies.