Using existing chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wickkid

Nov 28, 2017
Ok I'm in need of some info I am trying to figure out how to install my woodstove and using the existing brick chimney but the chimney was knocked down in the attic when the new roof was put on the house. So my question is can i take stainless flex liner and run it in the chimney the put the flashing end cap on the top of the chimney and then run triple wall out of the roof there is a gap between my roof and the chimney approximately 18in. Would it be to much heat or would it not work at all or hopefully it will work great? Any advise appreciated first timer here pictures of chimney in the attic and a not so good drawing

20171126_212847.jpg 20171126_222828.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes you can. You will have to get the adapter/anchor plate from the chimney manufacturer you choose. And you want double wall insulated chimney not triplewall.

Reactions: begreen
Yes, it can be done. There is a special top plate for this that also anchors the class A metal chimney. FWIW, I would use double-wall chimney pipe. It has a smaller diameter for a smaller hole in the roof and is better quality.

^^ bholler answered while I was turning watching the fire.

Reactions: Woody Stover
You will also need a roof kit which consists flashing, the metal boot and cap, remember your 2-3-10 rule. If coming out near the peak of your roof you will need to have the chimney atleast 2 ft higher, or 3ft higher than anything with in 10ft of your chimney cap. If you end up using more than 1 full length of class a outside on the roof then it should be properly braced.

Ok thank you tons so I'm going to run 6" stainless flex up to the opening of the chimney and attach the square anchor flashing on top of the chimney which will hold the flex pipe then run double wall insulated out of the roof then single wall outside. I will have a tee clean out at the bottom by the stove and how much pipe can stick above the roof before you need support ties

You will also need a roof kit which consists flashing, the metal boot and cap, remember your 2-3-10 rule. If coming out near the peak of your roof you will need to have the chimney atleast 2 ft higher, or 3ft higher than anything with in 10ft of your chimney cap. If you end up using more than 1 full length of class a outside on the roof then it should be properly braced.
Ok sounds good I will do that and that is good to know about the 3 foot because for some reason I thought that was 2 feet above the ten foot

How can i attach the flex pipe to the double wall insulated pipe is that an adapter as well or just screw it in is there a rule of thumb for the distance from the actual stove the non flammable material needs to be

Ok thank you tons so I'm going to run 6" stainless flex up to the opening of the chimney and attach the square anchor flashing on top of the chimney which will hold the flex pipe then run double wall insulated out of the roof then single wall outside. I will have a tee clean out at the bottom by the stove and how much pipe can stick above the roof before you need support ties
No tou need to get the part made for doing what you want to do. It has a collar on the bottom to attach your flex liner to it then mounts to the masonry and the prefab chimney mounts to it. Typically 5 feet or more needs a support bracket but your chimney manufacturer will give you all of these answers.

How can i attach the flex pipe to the double wall insulated pipe is that an adapter as well or just screw it in is there a rule of thumb for the distance from the actual stove the non flammable material needs to be
Your stove manufacturer will tell you what that distance is as long as the stove is ul listed. If it is not listed the clearance is 36"

Ok sounds good I will do that and that is good to know about the 3 foot because for some reason I thought that was 2 feet above the ten foot
It is 2 feet above anything within 10 feet or 3 feet above the roof penetration. Which ever is higher.

And dont forget that the flex liner should be insulated also.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the liner being encased by the brick chimney isn't enough what insulation do I get didn' know they made it like that
Well if you have the required clearances from the outside of the masonry structure to combustible materials you dont absolutly need it but it is still a good idea for performance. But i can see in your pics that you have wood incontact with the chimney so you need insulation. The insulation needs to be listed and approved for use with the liner you choose.

The insulation can be a wrap for the liner or they also sell preinsulated chimney liner that has an outer jacket.

This is an example of the transition anchor plate when used with duraliner
https://woodstovepro.com/chimney-pi...hor-plate-17-x-21-duraplus-9240d-8dp-ap17x21/
Olympia makes a transition anchor plate too. Here it is under the Champion brand name:
http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Chimn...tem-Parts/6-Champion-Masonry-Transition-Plate
a bit more info:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/transition-from-capped-masonry-chimney-to-class-a.139341/

If it's a straight shot up the chimney maybe you could use insulated rigid liner instead of flex.

The insulation can be a wrap for the liner or they also sell preinsulated chimney liner that has an outer jacket.

This is an example of the transition anchor plate when used with duraliner
https://woodstovepro.com/chimney-pi...hor-plate-17-x-21-duraplus-9240d-8dp-ap17x21/
Olympia makes a transition anchor plate too. Here it is under the Champion brand name:
http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Chimn...tem-Parts/6-Champion-Masonry-Transition-Plate
a bit more info:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/transition-from-capped-masonry-chimney-to-class-a.139341/
The existing brick chimney doesn' have any flues in it so I will more than likely need an insulation around the pipe and thank you for that information on the adapters I tried to see if perlite would be ok as a insulation for the liner in the chimney but there seems to be mixed opinions about it in the threads

If it's a straight shot up the chimney maybe you could use insulated rigid liner instead of flex.
Well I thought the same but I am trying to save my bank account a little and all I could find was way more expensive to stay with stainless this is going to be a lot as is but it Will still be better than 2700 dollars a winter in propane

The existing brick chimney doesn' have any flues in it so I will more than likely need an insulation around the pipe and thank you for that information on the adapters I tried to see if perlite would be ok as a insulation for the liner in the chimney but there seems to be mixed opinions about it in the threads
Perlite is not an approved chimney liner insulation. There are pour in products but they all have cement added so they dont settle.

Ok I think insulation then because that is a of of extra weight
Not really but it is much harder to do correctly. It does help stabalize old deteriorated chimneys though

Well I thought the same but I am trying to save my bank account a little and all I could find was way more expensive to stay with stainless this is going to be a lot as is but it Will still be better than 2700 dollars a winter in propane
Right, that's how I would look at it, "I'm saving money no matter what I buy!" ::-) That said, if you can pony up the cash for a heavy duty liner now it will pay off later in longevity, not to mention the peace of mind..priceless. ;)

Reactions: begreen

Single wall outside? Are we sure that is kosher?

Well I thought the same but I am trying to save my bank account a little
I mistakenly thought the rigid liner would be significantly cheaper but it appears that the HeatFab rigid 304 (which we put in at my BIL's) is now pretty close to the same price as the Homesaver Roundflex 304 that I have here. In that case, I'd go with the flex..you don't have to screw sections together. The cheapest flex I would consider would be a medium-weight liner such as HomeSaver Pro at .006" (not UltraPro.)