Using my exsisting chimney??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

asnowmobiler

Oct 1, 2008
NEPA
I live in a very old house with a stone fireplace. The other day I saw a used Schrader wood stove and I thought it might work in my house. The pipe comes out the back of the stove,I want to run it into my old fireplace opening and then up the chimney. First is this a safe way to install it and how far would the pipe need to go up the chimney?

Attachments

• 1231431gcZZZZZZZZZ89uf63d3b3fb3d5190d.jpg
    1231431gcZZZZZZZZZ89uf63d3b3fb3d5190d.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 366
Your installation method that you are referring to is common. Pipe out the back of the stove, and up the 'ol chimney. Be aware, that you have lots of clearance to combustibles to be concerned with (in front of stove, to mantel, etc.). Best case scenario is to line the old chimney with a liner to increase draft and decrease the amount of work it takes to clean it (sweep).

Now, that 'ol stove. What a hunka, hunka burnin' love. That was a heck of an old beast, but thats the problem, its an old beast. Commonly referred to as a smoke dragon, that thing is gonna LOVE to munch on perfectly good stove chow, just to blow an amazing amount of the fuel right up the stack (this can be minimized with good burning habits), but its gonna eat wood.

EPA cert. stoves are a safer, more efficient, more responsible way to burn. And for not a ton of bucks, there are several models on the market that are a great bang for your buck. If money is no object, then your choices are many.

I can get it for about $300. I looked at the cheap one a Lowes,the one like I saw you guys say is junk in anothe thread and I have to agree,it does look like cheap junk. The next lowest price one I can find is around $500 up from the real cheap $189 model. I went into this thinking I was only going to spend $200 now I'm at $300. I can't afford to spend any more then that at this time :(

How far does the pipe need to go up the chimney?
Thank you for all the help :)

This simple method is not allowed in Maine. My budd had a Jotul FC3 and wanted to put it in his fireplave opening and was told by the heat experts that he needed his chimney lined with stainless steel and he did spend $900 to have this done. I was the one that sold him the stove, gulp.

I understand that one cannot always do what "should" be done.

As far as the stove pipe, if it is at all possible, I would recommend going from the stove to sunlight with the pipe. Is this a "requirement"? Not always. Many installs have gotten away with ~4 or 5 ft of pipe into an exsisting flue. You WILL need to put a block off plate in the flue for this type of install.

This CANNOT be done in all situations! You will need flue measurements to determine if your cross sectional area will allow for this. For those type of specs, you need someone more educated on the rules than me (Rick, BeGreen anyone wanna pipe up here?)

When you say a "block off plate" does that go in the chimney or at the face of the fireplace? I know what has been said about not being efficiant but it has to be better then just using the fireplace :question:

Ok..
Now is this some thing I can buy or does it need to be made? And if it needs to be made,what should I use?
Sorry for all the questions :)

Typically custom made and of tin.

Please don't gloss over the part about your cross sectional area. This is important for drafting purposes and so that you don't truly make a creosote factory.

Quick example.

If you are dumping your 6" dia pipe into an 8x8" flue, you have essentially went to a MUCH larger pipe than the appliance was designed for. This will slow the exhaust exiting and potential cool the exhaust to a dangerous temp.

Now think about it with a 12"x12" flue. Even more so.

Not too mention, how the heck do you clean a square flue with a round brush????

After taking a good look at my chimney today,I'm going to run the pipe all the way to the top.
This is a great site with great helpful members!!!!
Thanks everyone for all the help.

sawdustburners said:
JoeyJ said:
This simple method is not allowed in Maine. My budd had a Jotul FC3 and wanted to put it in his fireplave opening and was told by the heat experts that he needed his chimney lined with stainless steel and he did spend $900 to have this done. I was the one that sold him the stove, gulp.
were the heat experts selling the liner? just curious. seems like a solid chimney would suffice?

This guy that sold him on the liner was his usual mason, very trustworthy. I should say my pal has a stone house and the chimney was stone also with 2 flues, but the fireplace flue was deemed too large fot the wood stove. Do you think he got ripped off?

Status
Not open for further replies.