Using old chimney for outside air intake for Enviro M55 Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherOdin

Jan 26, 2015
Canada
Hi,

I live in a townhouse where I have installed an Enviro M55 Pellet stove in the basement. The townhouse has three levels (Basement, main level and upstairs). The chimney is over 30 feet from basement all the way to the roof of the house.

My question is whether I can use my old chimney for outside air intake. The manual indicates that the outside air intake is not required in my home as it is 30 years old and not as air tight as newer houses. The stove is venting its gasses through a hole in the side of the house (through the pipe where an old gravity fed oil stove used to be and then horizontally through the chimney and then out the side of the house.

So basically, this leaves the chimney unused. There is a small hole in the brickwork near the basement floor. In theory I could attach a metal vent pipe from my pellet stove into this hole.

Is this an option for providing fresh air from the outside into the combustion chamber to improve efficiency?

Did you get a permit for installation and consult with the local building official (inspector and/or fire department)? Exhaust venting is rated pellet stove venting and appropriate thimble? Fire and CO detectors in place? Want to make sure the install is to code and safe for you and your family...

What other heating appliances/fireplaces are connected to the chimney? Pictures might help as I'm a bit unsure of your set-up

Sorry it took me a bit to reply. Here are a few pictures that might help. As far as other appliances or fireplaces, there is nothing except for the pipe for this stove that just takes it to the outside.

Using old chimney for outside air intake for Enviro M55 Pellet Stove Using old chimney for outside air intake for Enviro M55 Pellet Stove

Status
Not open for further replies.