USSC 6041 Shut Down Process

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Maxaduke

Dec 12, 2019
Colorado
We have an USSC 6041 stove we installed new in 2013. Have had great luck with the stove since using this forum to learn how to adjust settings. My question now concerns the shut down. The normal shut down takes at least 45 minutes and cools the room off as it cools the stove down. Is there a danger, or will it damage the stove to just open the hopper door and let it run out of pellets?

Thank you for any thoughts on this.

You can do that if you wish but turning it off does basically the same thing

Reactions: ARC
Maybe I'm missing something but how is the stove cooling the room down?

When the stove is turned off the fans continue to run to cool off the stove, (this I understand is necessary). Seems like it runs cool longer then need be, cooling down the room.

Seems like it runs cool longer then need be, cooling down the room.
Cools stove off so when you stick your hand in to clean you don't get burned. Even after 45 minutes I have still seen red embers in the fire pot.

The stove cools off based on the low limit switch not a timer. If you want to make changes you could change the low limit switch it should have a 110 degree -20 Normally Open switch witch means it turns on blower at 110 degrees and when cooling stove off it turns blower off at 90 degrees. If you put in a 120 degree -10 Normally Open blower would turn off at 110 degrees, you might have to change the C12 setting witch is the timer for warm up default is 30 minutes it might take longer then that to warm up to 120 degrees to start blower but probably not. Just remember stove will be hotter when you go to clean and there might be more embers or burning pellets still in the burn pot.

If you looked hard enough you might even be able to locate a 110-10 Normally Open switch witch would still turn on blower at 110 degrees and shut down at 100 degrees, i don't know why but most low limit switches are 110-20 then when it goes to 120 it is 120-10 don't see a 110-10. Search for low limit or Fan limit switch.

Attachments

• usstove tech manual 6041 American Harvest Multi Fuel 4 Digit Board.pdf
    696.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 6041.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Reactions: johneh
Cools stove off so when you stick your hand in to clean you don't get burned. Even after 45 minutes I have still seen red embers in the fire pot.

The stove cools off based on the low limit switch not a timer. If you want to make changes you could change the low limit switch it should have a 110 degree -20 Normally Open switch witch means it turns on blower at 110 degrees and when cooling stove off it turns blower off at 90 degrees. If you put in a 120 degree -10 Normally Open blower would turn off at 110 degrees, you might have to change the C12 setting witch is the timer for warm up default is 30 minutes it might take longer then that to warm up to 120 degrees to start blower but probably not. Just remember stove will be hotter when you go to clean and there might be more embers or burning pellets still in the burn pot.

If you looked hard enough you might even be able to locate a 110-10 Normally Open switch witch would still turn on blower at 110 degrees and shut down at 100 degrees, i don't know why but most low limit switches are 110-20 then when it goes to 120 it is 120-10 don't see a 110-10. Search for low limit or Fan limit switch.
Thank you ARC for your reply. I do understand the reason for cool down period. I have re-read the manual (as I do yearly) and noticed this statement -
If during burning, the heater reached at least 120 degrees Fahrenheit, the shutdown procedure will include a 15 minute shutdown cycle that will keep the heater in the shutdown state for at least 15 minutes regardless of whether it is cool or pressure is detected. The 15 minute cycle can be turned off by pressing the off button during shutdown. This will cause the system to exit shutdown and return to the “OFF” mode as soon as the door is closed and the heater is cool
Not ready to start replacing parts as we have managed for 10 years. I am going to try turning the 15 minute extended cycle this year. Something I have not noticed before reading the manual.
Thanks again for the help. Have a great day

Reactions: ARC