USSC Burn Pot Maintenance(5500m)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skibladerj

Mar 4, 2013
North of Scranton
Hello everyone,

I was asked by a fellow member how I manage my burn pot. I find that the because USSC has almost no customer service and no field support, it our job to help each other out a lot!

I use to shut my stove down every 2-3days to clean the burn pot. I get build up regardless of the brand of pellets I am running. This whole process would take about an hour from shutdown to warm room. Man what a PITA! so I said why not just scoop out the pot and see if it can survive this type of cleaning. It did just that, whole process takes about 15 mins when i'm burning hard.

The process;
Turn the stove down to a one and let the fire reduce.
Lift up the hopper lid so pellets no longer feed
Let the fire reduce down to coals... no flame (flame = stinky house)
Open the door
Take a scraping tool and loosen up the pot ( I use a long flat screwdriver)
Close the door to let some air get to the coals
Open the door back up
Scoop out the pot but leave enough coals to start a new fire( see video for my tool)
Close doo and hopper lid
Turn stove back up

If done right fire should resume in a moment or two with no stink in the house and no shutdown. I worked good for me. In the video below I have probably gone a week or more without shutting it down to clean the pot/ or glass as you can tell. I still clean the pot ever 2-3 days but with much less time.

P.s I dont edit video so its a one shot not perfect video also I forgot my fish eye was on the camera.

Yep been doing that on my integra for 15 years.Once a day on medium twice a day on low.Only my tool is a piece of all thread with a bend in it,longer so I can sit on stool and reach in from side,only opening door about 4"

thanks for the video I did try it after you told me I just scraped it I have to get a scoop too.

I know its nothing new but its new to me :)

Cheers

The more basic the stove the easier daily care which is why I like my old stye stove.I guess there is something to be said about not touching stove for days at a time,but I have to go downstairs and put pellets in anyway!Time to go to work,have a good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.