UV filter question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

d.n.f.

Dec 14, 2007
Nelson BC
Anybody have any recommendations for a UV water filter?

guess not eh?

Can't find any non-biased product reviews.

Funny thing a "UV filter" since the UV is not a filter at all but a disinfectant. I at first thought you were asking about sunglasses.

Highbeam said:
Funny thing a "UV filter" since the UV is not a filter at all but a disinfectant. I at first thought you were asking about sunglasses.
yeah yeah

UV light disinfects water. Fits under the water filtration category. You still need a 5 micron pre filter.

yeah, my only exposure to UV sterilizers is in the world of freshwater fishkeeping... I wonder if you can use the same thing for potable water?????

Jay

UV sterilizers are used for potable water for homes and municipalities. My friend runs the waste treatment plant at Sunshine Village ski resort in Banff and fought long and hard to get one put in. He saved them thousands and thousands on chemical costs.

I had a UV system in my last house as I was pulling water from a stream. The UV system had no labels on it and I couldn't tell you who made it (it came with the house).

I don't want to dump chemicals in the water to purify it. Interesting link with the length of the uv light and exposure. No mention if the fishy ones can make it potable for people. Probably too many hoops to jump through to get that little stamp.

The reviews I have read are extremely biased (like manufacturer written).

Just wondering if anyone has read a consumer reports version or anything like that.

Otherwise I guess I am rolling the dice and buying a system at $500 to $1000.

Don't forget about hot tubs and pools. They call them ozone generators and what happens is the UV light mutates the oxygen(O2) into ozone (O3) and the ozone wants to give away that extra oxygen molecule to junk in the water and when it does it is called oxidation and kills the junk with a byproduct of oxidized (dead) junk and oxygen unlike a typical sanitizer like chlorine which when done disinfecting leaves the chlorine bonded with junk in the water plus whatever the original carrier of the chlorine was, typically a salt like calcium or sodium. Chloramines are the bonded Cl and junk and they smell bad, taste bad, burn your eyes and the free chlorine residual tries to sanitize YOU.

So a UV light makes ozone and a search for ozone treatment will get more hits.

My city's sewage treatment plant now uses UV light as the final sanitizer before dumping the treated effluent into the river. Large banks of UV bulbs are way better than the old method of chlorination-contact time- and then more chemicals to dechlorinate the water since you can't have any free chloring being dumped into the river.

Status
Not open for further replies.