Vacation, and a new Stove :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmwloco

Hearth Supporter
Jan 17, 2008
Asheville NC
Back from a sortie from Asheville NC to Surfside Beach, SC for a week's vacation and down time.

After a week at the beach lounging, surfing, and boogie boarding (I'm 45, but still love to play), we headed home this morning, with a stop in Columbia, SC to pick up a Vermont Castings wood stove I won on eBay. It's almost new in every respect. The seller and I stripped it down, carefully putting the doors and bricks and such into a strong box.

Minutes later we were cruising home to the mountains of NC. A torrential rain storm didn't cause any dramas, and helped cool the air for a nice drive home.

We arrived home to find all the Dogwoods in bloom and Spring happening.

Moments after getting back, I snapped this shot:

436258.jpg

I'd already unloaded the box. This is like a brand new stove - including all documentation, circa 1982. A perfect compliment to my Resolute in the house, the Intrepid will occupy my garage. I'm going to spend the summer making sure it's a safe and ergonomically correct.

All in all, a great vacation and a steal on the stove for all of $448. I unloaded it solo into the garage. Gently placing it on the floor. I've almost decided where it should live in the garage for maximum benefit and minimum worry about combustion outside the box.

436259.jpg

Looks like it's barely been used. Nice find.

PS: if the images were downsampled to 72dpi (they're currently 180 dpi), they'd be a more reasonable size for the web.

Nice find & another suggestion to resize your pics to a standard 640x480 pixels. Then they would fit the page without having to scroll back & forth.
Al

Attachments

• intrepid01.jpg
    intrepid01.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 309
Looks like a very nice stove for the price. Hope it fullfills its job of heating your garage.

SlyFerret said:
Just an FYI to anyone who wants an easy way to resize images: if you're running Windows XP, Microsoft has an Image Resizer power toy.

You can find it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Quick and easy, and perfect for web forums!

-SF

For another very quick and easy way, simply use Paint. In the Image menu, choose Stretch/Skew, then in both the Horizontal and Vertical, change the 100% down to perhaps 70% and save the picture as a JPEG and not a bmp. The bmp format takes a lot more disc space; lots more.

Nice looking stove there. Hope it serves you well for many, many moons.

I'm committed to Macs, especially after 20+ years as a paid computer geek and network admin.

Sorry for the file size. I was just "loading and going". I'll be sure to tweek the sizes smaller in the future.

Unloaded the stove, solo. It was "naked" so it was relatively light, about 200 lbs I'd say.

I think I have a location selected, but I've got plenty of time to decide. Plenty of chores to do this summer, so plans are I'll have it installed sometime late summer.

I’m committed to Macs, especially after 20+ years as a paid computer geek and network admin.

iPhoto will work. Export constrained to about 800 x 600 pixels dimensions.

I got the stove into place yesterday; whew. Used a creeper (for going under cars) to move it. That made things easier.

I have it in the northwest corner of the garage. I'm pretty sure that's the spot. I'll zap a photo of it later. There's nothing flammable, within 15 feet of it and the walls are bare cinder block (painted with Kilz). I'll put up heat backing on either corner.

The next project is piping. And putting the stove back together. Anyone know where I can get an exploded diagram of the Intrepid circa 1982? It's much more complex than my Resolute I.

Status
Not open for further replies.