Valuation of a Central Boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StackedLumber

Hearth Supporter
Oct 28, 2009
Michigan
Anyone want to give me an idea on what the value of a 9 year old Central Boiler would be? (CL 5648) Kept antifreeze in it every year and flushed out a couple time a year. Let me know your thoughts

StackedLumber said:
Anyone want to give me an idea on what the value of a 9 year old Central Boiler would be? (CL 5648) Kept antifreeze in it every year and flushed out a couple time a year. Let me know your thoughts

The cynical side of me would ask how much you'd have to pay someone to haul it away...

Seriously, everything I've heard is that OWB's don't keep their value all that well, as they tend to not be very durable - seems from what I see posted here that 9 years for an OWB is OLD...

Part of it is the way that they tend to be built fairly light weight to begin with, and part of it is that in many cases they run cold enough that you tend to have problems with flue gas condensation in the firebox, especially near the return line connection, which rots out the steel from the firebox side...

Bottom line is you might be able to get something for it from someone that is looking for a bargain, but I wouldn't count on getting a lot for it...

Gooserider

At 9 years old I'd say it's worth the labor it will take to move it. Can you get some pics inside and out? You could always have a local expert go out and inspect it...

I knew and expected the cynicism of "what's scrap metal going for". Just thought I'd ask! :)

Put it on Ebay and see what you could get. There seems to be a few for sale in the winter as that's when people around here start thinking about putting one in. Its getting cold and they don't want to fill the gas tank.

Ask around, go word of mouth, talk to everyone you know. I sold my old OWB that was between 10-15 years old for good money, paid a 20% finders fee to a friend who found a buyer for me. And the buyer was responsible to pick it up and haul it away. I was ready to junk it.

Status
Not open for further replies.