VC Defiant model 2n1: how to remove damper housing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arnermd

Minister of Fire
May 16, 2014
Tolland, CT
Howdy all,

Long time reader first time poster, thank you all for sharing, I have learned a lot from reading these forums.

I have a newer VC Defiant model - it is the 2n1. I had a problem where the sheet metal behind the fireback moved up on the left side and I could not get the catalytic converter out. So I started digging into it and I am having trouble getting the damper housing out. Does anybody know how to do this? I got the 4 bolts out and pushed the damper rod as far as I could to the right but it is still hanging up on the rod on the left side.

Do you have to take the left side of the stove off?

Anybody have a service manual for this model?

Thanks for any guidance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I'm not following you. The damper frame shouldn't have to come out for any reason that I can think of, unless you are doing a major rebuild.

I am not 100% sure this is the correct advice but let me try and chime in.

I have the smaller 2n1 encore.

I have noticed a couple times when i check the cat there is almost like a small thin strip of metal flashing sandwiched in between two pieces of the burn chamber along the bottom side just in front of the catalyst. Very thin like 1/8 to 1/10 inch thin? maybe thinner? You say is is preventing you from removing the catalyst.

I think i had the same thing happen but not on such a dramatic scale. I was just able to take a wide piece of anything and push it back down... but mine only creep-ed up like 1/4 inch and pushed down with ease. I think i just used a plastic pen sideways to force it back down ( but you could use like a pair of forceps or pliers).

As far as taking the stove apart that is beyond my knowledge, but if this is the same thin piece of metal I am thinking of I think it would just push back down flush where it is supposed to go if it goes....mine pushed back into spot very easily.

I have no idea what the sheet of metal is for or does.

And we may not be talking about the same thing at all.

Do you have the owners manual? The back few pages have the exploded view of the stove with all the pieces numbered.

On my encore the piece i am talking about is either 35 (Fire-back Plate Stainless Steel) or 41 (Fireback Gasket). Probably 35 the fire back stainless steel. The number may differ on your stove.

Now I am curious. I don't know why the stainless steel fire-back plate would float upwards. But it does this on my stove...but never to such a degree. Any ideas? I should have posted about it when it happened but I just shoved it back into place and never thought twice about it.

That is exactly what happened to my stove, the fireback plate (#35) had shifted up on one side ~1/2" and prevented me from removing the catalyst. It had always been a little proud of the ceramic but never posed a problem before, recently it must have shifted a lot for some reason so I figured it was time to get in there and see what was happening. In order to get to that plate the damper assy needs to come out and that's where I am stuck. I can't figure out how to get the left side of the damper housing out. I think it is hanging up on the damper rod.

Did you remove the bypass rod handle? It takes a small Allen wrench, I can't remember what size.

Did you remove the bypass rod handle? It takes a small Allen wrench, I can't remember what size.

Haha.... is that the mechanical equivalent of "is it plugged in"? Yes I removed the handle.

After a bit of wrangling with it I got the damper assy out. Seemed to be much more difficult than it needed to be.

The next question is once I replace the fireback gasket can I get it back in? We shall see.

FYI... I found the fireback gasket was a bit pricey and a long lead time as it is a special order part. I decided to cut my own gasket using 1/8" Kaowool paper from Woodman's Parts Plus

So..... as I suspected, I can not get the damper assy back in place. The left side where the damper rod penetrates the outer casting seems to be where it is hanging up.

If anybody has ever replaced this on a 2n1 I sure would love to hear how you did it. Either I am missing something or the left side panel needs to come out.

What a nightmare.....

Status
Not open for further replies.