VC disposal ideas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
I have two VC Encores, a 2550 and a 2140. The pic below is the 2550 but they are in roughly the same condition and need complete rebuilds. Any thoughts on the best way to get rid of them?

Craigslist as-is and see what happens? If so, how much?
Parts them out? What parts? How much?
Put them in the trailer and get scrap value at the recycler in town?
End of the driveway for the scrappers? Very easy and usually gone within an hour or two.

This is not meant to be a VC bashing thread, I just need them out my garage and would like to salvage what I can without spending a whole lot of time doing it.

Attachments

• 2550.jpg
    2550.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 530
I got rid of an old potbelly via the dumpster this spring. If I craigslisted it i'd be afraid some idiot would kill his kid.

I have a Shanandoah coal stove that is going to the scrappers next run.

Matt

That is the dilemma...they are beautiful stoves and work very well when maintained properly, they just need the normal rebuilds that all of them seem to need from time to time. I hate to scrap them if there is someone out there who has found an economical way of making them work that I couldn't come up with. I don't have the patience and am not willing to spend the money on new replacement parts.

Jags said:
I am thinking about the potential for parts. Advertise them as such.

I like that one. If Craigslist doesn't work out, I can put them on EBay for a low enough price that someone buys them for a specific part. Remove the part, ship it to them and list it again.

besides getting rid of some rust, what does it need to be a working stove?

I just cannot get the vision of two quarter sticks of dynamite and youtube out of my head. :red:

I probably should have tried Craigslist. When I got rid of my Encore in March (in way better shape than the one in the OP's photo, but in need of a full rebuild of the chamber below the cat), I listed it in Hearth.com's items for sale area, free to anyone who would take it, and got no bites. So, I just let the stove shop take it away when they delivered my Oslo, and they tossed in on a scrap heap.

Les Biancat said:
the gla$$ is worthy, wonder what else it fits?

no doubt and dealer cost on one panel is $85.

fbelec said:

My guess is complete fireback, cat and gaskets. However, there are a lot of parts in these stoves.

BrotherBart said:
I just cannot get the vision of two quarter sticks of dynamite and youtube out of my head. :red:

BB, you know how to party. The lake our camp is on is surrounded by mountains. If we set them out on the ice, I wonder how long they would echo after the blast?

build a cupola furnace and cast something new out of the old iron.

I'm cheap and would probably see if I could sell them for parts or cheaply, but make sure the buyer knows that they need to be rebuilt to be of any use. If no takers, bring them to the metal salvage yard.

I had one that I rebuilt, kit cost me 490 for fire back rebuild kit + time to go get it + stove cement and gaskets it didn't take that long to rebuild it and it might be worth it to some one who has the time when done you will have a new stove for a 3rd of the cost...

SolarAndWood said:
fbelec said:

My guess is complete fireback, cat and gaskets. However, there are a lot of parts in these stoves.

i'm not sure how much that would cost, but doing the work is not to hard
i'd say a couple of hundred a stove as is.

fbelec said:

SOLD! When do you want to pick them up:)

EDIT: I'm traveling through N Mass tomorrow afternoon and would be happy to deliver!

to knock apart and rebuild an encore is gonna run you @800+ to be done thru a shop... probably @ least 500+ to do it yourself... either way, those cat encores are gonna need it done every 5-7 yrs... scrap em, get a new stove with the tax cedit, preferably not a cat VC... get a nice steel stove,non catalytic, low maint..

SolarAndWood said:
fbelec said:

SOLD! When do you want to pick them up:)

EDIT: I'm traveling through N Mass tomorrow afternoon and would be happy to deliver!

sorry solar. i guess i misrepresented myself. i meant for sale on craigslist or ebay.
i did look up the prices for parts thou. not to bad depending on what has to be replaced.
lower fireback is 109.28
upper fireback is 57.14
gasket kit 23.59
that is all from woodmans stove parts.
that stove would cost me way more than a new stove is cuz if i bring home another project or start something else on this house without finishing it the divorce would cost me dearly.

summit said:
to knock apart and rebuild an encore is gonna run you @800+ to be done thru a shop... probably @ least 500+ to do it yourself... either way, those cat encores are gonna need it done every 5-7 yrs... scrap em, get a new stove with the tax cedit, preferably not a cat VC... get a nice steel stove,non catalytic, low maint..

If you run them hard, I have a couple of data points that suggest it is 2 years. Steel is real but I haven't given up on cat technology.

fbelec said:
sorry solar. i guess i misrepresented myself. i meant for sale on craigslist or ebay.
i did look up the prices for parts thou. not to bad depending on what has to be replaced.
lower fireback is 109.28
upper fireback is 57.14
gasket kit 23.59
that is all from woodmans stove parts.
that stove would cost me way more than a new stove is cuz if i bring home another project or start something else on this house without finishing it the divorce would cost me dearly.

lol...thought we had a deal there:) I married a lawyer, so I can appreciate the cost of divorce.

The real problem with these stoves is that if you run them hard, you will need to be doing serious maintenance every year. Guaranteed, I would be into it for more than 2 bills. I have a good feeling about the BK.

Status
Not open for further replies.