VC Encore....keep or move on?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanS

Hearth Supporter
Nov 23, 2008
Long Island, New York
Old topic, but I need the advice now. My old Vermont Castings Encore stove needs new parts. That would be about $400 total in parts. Worth it? I like the stove, but would it be 'wiser' to replace the stove with another- less costly one/ non-cat stove? If so, what would I consider? Please be specific about what makes/ models I should look into.

I'm pretty sure you can get an older VC Encore for $400-$500 in very good condition (I saw a few on CraigsList in that range over the summer). So, I would be against buying parts for it. But it depends upon your budget, really. Can you afford a newer model stove? If you can, now would be a good time to take the plunge.

Especially with the 30% tax credit

One vote to move on . . .

Older stove with new parts is like having an old car with a new engine . . . there are still other parts that can fail and be costly. I would think the initial outlay may be more, but going new means all new parts . . . plus you would gain the benefit of newer tech and the tax credit.

So, what do I move on to? Given the size of the Encore, what makes/ models do I consider? Each showroom has thier units to push. I don't want to make the same mistake again by buying something that looks great but needs expensive parts in the end.

I certainly wouldn't be one to recommend another VC Encore, BUT if you do want one I have one that is only slightly used (one season) available for sale.... :)

As to what to move on to - well... you only have to read my signature to guess what I would recommend looking into, but give me a full season to know better if I made the right decision.

What size is the encore? Were you happy with the output? Happy with the burn times? Do you have any cat or non-cat bias? There are lots of great stoves and you are wise to replace that VC thing with anything else during this tax credit period. Heck, it's almsot wise to buy a second stove and stash it in the barn.

Highbeam said:
Heck, it's almost wise to buy a second stove and stash it in the barn.

I wish I could do that right now. Just don't have the budget for it.

I would buy one of these for the third stove in the living room:
5NP-NZ6000-K-lg.jpg

I just replaced my old cat Encore with a Blaze King King as I was in the same situation. I found myself spending $400 to $500 a year on both of the Encores I had burning hard 24/7.

Status
Not open for further replies.