VC Encore & smoke/steam question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
It is about 14* out there & I see smoke/steam coming out of the pipe. The cat is glowing nice and dull red, the temps are nice (400* internal flue & 650* griddle). The smoke looks a bit too gray to call it steam. So I am a bit concerned. With my other stove (encore NC) at this outside temps there was no smoke/steam at all. Mind you that stoves' flue temps were much higher.

I did the dollar test & the smoke test for leaks & it seems all OK....

Is it the cat glowing red or the iron around the fireback and draft hood?

I don't know how the 2140 is , but on my 2550 the cat is too deeply buried back here for me to see any glow unless its glowing metal :(

sounds like smoke to me. anytime you have smoke of any sort...whether it be grayish or whitish or whatever...it generally means there is a bit of moisture in the wood. It sounds as though the stove is hot and the cat is engaging...but you still have a little moisture in the wood from the sounds of it. i have the Encore 2190 and will still get a little smoke when im burning semi questionable wood...even with the cat doing its work. probably nothing to worry too much about

With this model you can actually see the stainless steel plate that surrounds the cat through the firebox. So the glow is actually from the cat itself...I believe. I know that the 2550 has the hood which prevents looking into the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.