VC Intrepid II (1990) Venting Options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njmeder

Dec 11, 2011
CT
I am installing a VC Intrepid II in my basement and have a few questions and/or looking for advice as far as my options for venting.

Installation will be kitty cornered on a brick hearth and shall eventually vent through the wall to a class A chimney. Here are the two options that I have come up with;

Option 1- Top vent with a 24" rise, then 45 bend to offset alignment (between studs for wall thimble), 6" spool to 90 bend, then 24" run with snap lock adapter to wall thimble.

Option 2- Rear vent with tee and clean out, 36" rise to 90 bend, 24" run with snap lock to wall thimble.

Other notes: wall thimble has not been installed yet to allow for the installation of fixed rather than telescoping pipe lengths. Unfortunately I cannot push the stove back any further (need 10" clearance per mfg) to make a clean rise from the top with one 90 to a run straight in line with the thimble, missing the centerline by about 3". I do however have roughly 6-12" of play to move the stove forward and still maintain my 18" from front load to edge of hearth. Additionally the exterior rise on the chimney once through the wall will be around 16-18 feet. Chimney pipe is 6" DuraVent and stove pipe will 6" DVL.

Obviously option 2 would be more aesthetically pleasing and give me a second clean out but I have read other reviews that indicate this is the not best choice for effective drafting and cold starting.

Any additional advice or venting options would be greatly welcomed.

-Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.