Velocity vs. Volume

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

realstihl

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2007
eastern kansas
My stove has been acting strange lately so I decided to check the flue pipe (6"). One of the 45 deg elbows was half full of creosote powder. Could this create more velocity in the pipe and lessen the volume? Seems like secondary burn was lacking but no smoke spillage when the door was open. I have about 35' of pipe. Thanks!

Not sure how important the distinction is that you are trying to make here. Bottom line is that the restriction will reduce the total flow through that pipe. In addition all that creosote is a potential disaster in the making. Regardless I suspect you already know that you need to clean your chimney (not just the elbow) asap as this is likely just one indication that your flue is dirty.

Then consider how it got that way - how long since last cleaning, burning practices, wood condition, etc.

That would work like a venturi, only speeding up in the restricted space.

pen

The flue diameter is spec'd for worse case situations and the diameter is factored over the entire length. With a choke point, the full bore of the flue would only be missed when the door is open and as you say there was no smoke issues. It would behave similar to a partially clogged cap. I doubt it would affect the secondaries. Did you see a marked difference after cleaning?

I can see why 45 degree elbows were outlawed on class A pipe. The angle of repose allows them to collect and hold rather than the material flow back into the stove (assuming a top exit).

I'm guessing i got 1/3 gal. out of it. A little more than usual. Mostly burning 4 year old hedge and 2year old oak. Some of the hedge is 10+ years old.

That volume change is pretty small as a % of a 35' pipe.

Half full tells me that there's prolly a bunch up above it flaking off and falling down. Could have enough to cause restriction. Could have a chimney cap getting blocked up.

Give serious consideration to inspecting/cleaning before you burn any more.

I also need to add that this was on the single wall pipe from the stove to the double wall adaptor. I'm in the process of cleaning now. There was hardly anything in the insulated part. The powder was brown and real fine almost like lint.

realstihl said:
I also need to add that this was on the single wall pipe from the stove to the double wall adaptor. I'm in the process of cleaning now. There was hardly anything in the insulated part. The powder was brown and real fine almost like lint.

Nice. That fine powdery stuff starts falling down when the pipe heats up. It's not well attached and I'me sure that heat expansion pops it off of there. Sounds like you're doin' it right

How long did it take to get this accumulation? What stove is this with?

BeGreen said:
How long did it take to get this accumulation? What stove is this with?

I clean it once a year usually somtimes twice. Hasn't been cleaned since last year. Probabably 4 cords or less. The stove is a Lexington Forge SSW30.

Here's some pics of it. Doesn't look to be a very popular stove here. There's always talk of rakes so I added mine. Made it about 15 years ago.
Picture005-1.jpg
</a<a href="http://s466.photobucket.com/albums/rr23/ckr74/?action=view&current=Picture004.jpg" target="_blank">
Picture004.jpg
>
Picture003-1.jpg
Picture002-1.jpg

Pics are kind of grainy. Oh well.

realstihl said:
Here's some pics of it.

No apologies--thanks for the pics, and I'm glad you're on top of things.

Now *that* is definitely an alcove. :)

(A reference to another thread about the definition ;) )

Did it used to be a fireplace?

RenovationGeorge said:
realstihl said:
Here's some pics of it.

No apologies--thanks for the pics, and I'm glad you're on top of things.

Now *that* is definitely an alcove. :)

(A reference to another thread about the definition ;) )

Did it used to be a fireplace?

No fireplace. When we built the house I had this alcove built so wood stove wouldn't take up so much room in the basement. Fireplace is on first floor on it's own flue.

Status
Not open for further replies.