Vent Installation question, Big E, vertical inside or outside.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

solock

Nov 19, 2005
Im installing a Big E into an unheated workshop. THe Big E has served me well for 6 years at a previous residence, but the new buyer didnt want this stove so its being put to use in a workshop at my new/old home.

I have to rise about 2 feet to clear a masonry wall that is the lower half of the exterior wall, and can simply go 2 feet up from a cleanout t on the back of the stove then horizontal 1 foot through the wall to a duravent horizontal cap that would be 6" from the wall to the back of the vent and that would be about 3' above grade with no exterior obstructions.

I can also rise 4' additional internally , add an additional 90 elbow and the go horizontal through the wall terminating the same way, or to the rise externally then elbow and terminate. that would put the exhause about 6.5' above grade.

THe additional rise would keep the termination 12" below a 4 inch overhang.

Is simple and shorter the best? The simplest is the cleanout T,2' vertical an elbow and a 1' horizontal run.
or otherwise it becomes cleanout t, two elbows, and 6 foot of pipe. so more joints and an additional length to get the rise.

Im thinking that simplest/shortest is most efficient and least error prone, but also know that non power vented appliances rely on the vertical run for draft.

It was previously run through 12' of straight vertical run and ran flawlessly.

If vertical rise is beneficial, is internal or external rise better? No issue with appearance either way, just looking for best practices.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Steve

Im installing a Big E into an unheated workshop. THe Big E has served me well for 6 years at a previous residence, but the new buyer didnt want this stove so its being put to use in a workshop at my new/old home.

I have to rise about 2 feet to clear a masonry wall that is the lower half of the exterior wall, and can simply go 2 feet up from a cleanout t on the back of the stove then horizontal 1 foot through the wall to a duravent horizontal cap that would be 6" from the wall to the back of the vent and that would be about 3' above grade with no exterior obstructions.

I can also rise 4' additional internally , add an additional 90 elbow and the go horizontal through the wall terminating the same way, or to the rise externally then elbow and terminate. that would put the exhause about 6.5' above grade.

THe additional rise would keep the termination 12" below a 4 inch overhang.

Is simple and shorter the best? The simplest is the cleanout T,2' vertical an elbow and a 1' horizontal run.
or otherwise it becomes cleanout t, two elbows, and 6 foot of pipe. so more joints and an additional length to get the rise.

Im thinking that simplest/shortest is most efficient and least error prone, but also know that non power vented appliances rely on the vertical run for draft.

It was previously run through 12' of straight vertical run and ran flawlessly.

If vertical rise is beneficial, is internal or external rise better? No issue with appearance either way, just looking for best practices.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Steve

I don't know your stove but if you have the manual it will tell you if you are going to go beyond the capabilities of the stove with lengths and 90's/45's and vertical or horizontal lengths.

Being the tight wad that I am, the vertical rise in my opinion would have the benefit of having a little more heat inside coming off the pipe as opposed to the pipe going out sooner. I could be totally wrong but to me even if I get 1/10th degree more that's the way I'd do it. Also the more inside the less likely of damage from the elements, easier to inspect in a warm shop than in a blowing blizzard.

As a general rule, I think the fewer 90s and 45s, the better. I sort of like the idea of one bend to go up (seems necessary bc of the masonry wall) then as far up as you wish to get some draft and another 90 to go out, then the downward termination cap. Just go out far enough below the overhang to avoid a problem there. My two cents.

Reactions: FirepotPete
Status
Not open for further replies.