Vent leaking between walls - HELP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

West

Nov 25, 2009
AK
Enviro M55 installed roughly one week ago. Burned pellets for the first week with only a very slight smoke smell. I recently started burning barley and got a strong smoke smell. After checking with a flashlight at startup I found smoke coming from the cleanout tee. I first taped the seam where it twistlocks and found smoke continuing to seep from the bottom. After I sealed the bottom of the tee the smoke started coming out of the double wall air gap on the appliance adapter. All other seams and connections have been taped or siliconed. What do I do next? Fill the air gap on the adapter with silicone? Try to get a bead of silicone inbetween the double wall above the tee cap - so I can still remove it? I cant tape or silicone the adapter while its on the stove - my hands dont fit. I am certain I will have problems removing the adapter because I sealed the inside with silicone on install. The tee seems to be the culprit but I dont want to permanently seal it shut.

Looking for suggestions or ideas? Its COLD up here!

WB

West said:
What do I do next? Fill the air gap on the adapter with silicone? Try to get a bead of silicone inbetween the double wall above the tee cap - so I can still remove it? I cant tape or silicone the adapter while its on the stove - my hands dont fit. I am certain I will have problems removing the adapter because I sealed the inside with silicone on install. The tee seems to be the culprit but I dont want to permanently seal it shut.

WB

Yes, I would use silicone on the adapter gap(fill it full) and tape it as well. If you have to remove it from the stove first. its OK to do so. The recconnect stove with silicone. Tape if needed. From what you are discribing, I take it you are using the Duravent pellet vent. The pellet vent Pro is probably a better alternitive to the pellet vent. More expensive but has the better seals at the joints.

For some reason the tees seem to have a leak issue. Mine leaked like crazy!

On the clean out plug. I remove the rope gasket and put silicone in where the gasket was. About a 1/4 inch bead, I let it set up. Then I replace the gasket. Seems to stop the leak. You may also have to tape the clean out plug. The tape is easier to remove than silicon.

I also sealed every joint in the house. I use the Black hi temp silicone. Made by permatex.

West said:
Try to get a bead of silicone inbetween the double wall above the tee cap - so I can still remove it? I cant tape or silicone the adapter while its on the stove - my hands dont fit. I am certain I will have problems removing the adapter because I sealed the inside with silicone on install. The tee seems to be the culprit but I dont want to permanently seal it shut.

WB

I had a similar leak, but it was at the stove's exhaust where it connects to a vent pipe adaptor, and then the T.

For my leak, and if I am reading this right, you did the same thing I did on the stove exhaust collar. Sealed the hell out of it inside and out where it connects to the first vent pipe. I too knew that removing this will not be easy at all if I need to remove it later.

BUT, I did this by removing 3 bolts and removing the stove's collar. Made sure that I had a new felt gasket on hand if needed (and as it was the first removal, it did damage the felt). Now if needed, I can do the same thing and just remove the 3 bolts and the whole collar/pipe adaptor assembly comes off. MUCH easier for removal as well as working on the vent system.

I looked at the M55 tech manual on Enviro's website. It does not show the collar being able to be removed plus a gasket, but it looks like there is a bolt hole on it. That would lead me to believe that it can be removed. Take a lookand see. Just make sure you have a gasket on hand as the first time will probably tear it. They only cost 4-5 bucks at the dealer.

This part only addresses removal of the pipe system from the stove. Not real sure on the T. My T has a solid rubber circle that seals the cover to the pipe.

Hope this helps.

Geno

To stop the air gap leak I removed my first pipe and sealed the inside, I suppose you could seal the air gap if you wanted to remove the first connector to the adapter.

what are you taping the joints. i tried to find that heat tape to wrap pipes and everyone thinks im nuts,says no one uses it anymore.

jsvo said:
what are you taping the joints. i tried to find that heat tape to wrap pipes and everyone thinks im nuts,says no one uses it anymore.

Yeah, Lowes people said no tape, use silicone only. Guess what, my oil furnace has tape on a few joints by the furnace tech. If it leaks and you cant get rid of it, tape it. Worked on mine.

I used metal heating air duct tape. Maybe the auto exhuast tape would be better as my tape was bear to remove when I needed to. Auto exhaust tape may peel off better.

macman, you out there to chime in on the difference?

What type of pipe is it.... I am guessing simpson duravent.

Status
Not open for further replies.