vent pipe 90 elbow issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pellet9999

Sep 3, 2008
ny
breckwell Big e
Is it ok to go with a 90 elbow right out of the adaptor.( back of stove).?? or is this not a good idea..??

I do not see any reason why not other than one. Several manuals plus the Simpson Pellet vent pro installation manual show a 90 degree elbow at the start.

Back to the one reason I mention though...Using a "T" with a clean out makes more sense to me. The obvious reason being that it makes your vent pipe cleaning much simpler. If you use a elbow then you would have to take your pipe apart to remove the debree.

From what I understand the first thing attached to the stove outlet is an (appliance adapter). 3 PVP- AD made by Dura Vent is one that's out there.

That is what I was under the impression of too. The dealer that I bought my pipe from seemed very experienced in installing stove ventillation and they said that they preferred to start right off with a cleanout 'T'. He told me it would not matter as long as I seal the connection and recommeded two screws to hold in place. I think you need to do the same if you use the adaptor also.

As I mentioned on other posts this will be my first year burning pellets, so if anyone knows a good reason why I should not have done, please, please let me know before I get coooold.

codebum said:
That is what I was under the impression of too. The dealer that I bought my pipe from seemed very experienced in installing stove ventillation and they said that they preferred to start right off with a cleanout 'T'. He told me it would not matter as long as I seal the connection and recommeded two screws to hold in place. I think you need to do the same if you use the adaptor also.

As I mentioned on other posts this will be my first year burning pellets, so if anyone knows a good reason why I should not have done, please, please let me know before I get coooold.
The connector on the Tee (for Dura Vent Pro) has the emobossed locking tabs/slide slots to allow it to lock together or come apart. That's a bit oversized for the 3" pipe coming out the back of the stove (mine anyway) so you'll have to put in lots of silicone to seal it - and then you're only getting the bottom clean out trap off for cleaning - the silicone won't let go. You also can't screw it to the stove unless you ignore the Dura Vent instructions not to drive a screw through both layers (outer & inner) of steel.

The appliance adapter is a snug fit smoothbore fitting on one side which goes over the output pipe from the stove. The other end has the twist-lock setup to attach to other Dura Vent Pro piping. The stove side gets the silicone & 3 screws (per the instructions for DV). The other side is twist lock so you can attach & detach fairly easily. I used foil tape on all the joints on my stove just for insurance against smoke/CO.

Makes sense.

I still have time to add the adaptor into the mix. I am going to hope the black silicone sealant will do the job though. I have the black vent pipe and would skip the foil tape because esthetics (unless it can painted).

I have talked to Duravent.... you can use EITHER the adaptor OR the appliance adaptor. I have bought both. Im using the regular adaptor.
They also said its better to have 12 inches of pipe before the first 90 turn,BUT the adaptor counts for 6 inches and using a T instead of a 90 will suffice.That will count for 12 inches.
Man, I am glad to have a forum for this because it is a drag to figure this out. Anyway, I found out today that my install plan wont work to my satisfaction so I am doing another one.
Here is another question..... It would work best for me to use 1 piece of 5 ft long flex pipe, Duravent. It says to use this only on chimneys that have an offset. I want to use it
just as flex pipe so it will be simpler. ..Can I use this flex pipe for a regular ,no chimney install???? It will save me a bunch of connections...Anybody doing this..????thanks

Please do not skimp on a few bucks and risk safety. No flex unless inside a masonry chimney.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.