Vented LP to Ventless

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LBear

Oct 26, 2012
Here's a question for the gas fireplace experts out there!

We recently had a remodel done on our family room converting an LP fireplace to a wood stove. This however had the impact of forcing us to remove the vent for the basement LP fireplace due to fire codes. (Can't have multiple stove pipes in same chimney)

The plan is to put a ventless fireplace in the basement.

So my question is this: Before ripping out the fireplace box, could we simply put a ventless LP log set in the existing fireplace? The fireplace unit is a Heatilator. The vent is now terminated into non-flammable concrete above.
is there something unique about the ventless fireplace box itself that requires a replacement? Or is ventless simply determined by the log set?

Thanks for any insights!

Technically there's nothing stopping you. However, you'll be voiding any testing certifications, etc... Since the box wasn't designed for VF, VF can't go in.

I wouldn't put a VF in a basement, unless you plan to keep a window cracked open while it's operating. I'm not anti VF, we have one now and have had one in the past, but they really only fit in certain situations, imo.

Thanks Fueldude - that's what I figured, but wanted to check before doing lots of work and spending money if I didn't have to.
Eclecticcottage - I appreciate the input - unfortunately, I'm not sure we have any other alternatives since venting is no longer available, we don't want to loose the fireplace appearence from a resale standpoint, and electric isn't an option.
Fortunately, it is rarely used.

Status
Not open for further replies.