Venting a pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

imageben

Hearth Supporter
Oct 12, 2007
I am going to vent a pellet stove from the 1st floor up the side of a two story home. Is it necessary to go all the way past the roof line of the second story to avoid discoloring the vinyl siding with the exhaust? The stove is a Quadrafire castile pellet stove. I think with the normal clearances and the correct type of piping it should not get hot enough to melt the siding?

It probably wont melt the siding but it could leave nasty looking black ash / soot all over the side of the house. If you want you could just go out the house, put on a Tee and go up the min needed to meet clearances. Then 90 away from the house and put on the cap (with a straight piece horizontally if needed for clearances). If you want to avoid getting crud all over the siding then you should go up above the roof line and follow the roof clearances in the manual.

I vent mine straight out with a vent cap on the end and I don't get any thing on my white vinyl siding .

I am thinking of just going 60 inches up and putting a cap on the end. To go up two stories and through the roof seems excessive to me but I wanted to get some thoughts.

buildingmaint said:
I vent mine straight out with a vent cap on the end and I don't get any thing on my white vinyl siding .

I wonder if the pictures we see with crud all over is from people burning low quality pellets and/or corn in thier stoves. I don't think good pellets would make much black on the house.

THe last house that we had was wood exterior and I do not remember having that much black soot. I think that the main reason that we went vertical at all was to give the sparks a chance to burn out, but soot was not an issue. I can always go up later but I think that I will start with 60 inches and 12inches a way from the house so as not to melt the siding.

Status
Not open for further replies.