Venting in to a brick clay lined chimney through fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KNKN

Oct 11, 2011
Ohio
When venting into a clay lined chimney with flex pipe about six foot up. Should one block off around the pipe? In essence turning the whole chimney into a forced air system? Or is it best to leave it open and allow natural draft to do its job? Nothing else uses the chimney and its in the center of the house in the basement and goes about 25-30 feet up.

I vent mine in an old double brick chimney in my house...the chimney is in the center of the house and it's also lined...I have used it for about 2 months with my Thelin pellet stove and it has worked great...I also have my oil furnace hooked up to it...my furance is in the basement and my pellet stove is on the first floor..my chimney flue is 8" square...I do clean the chimney every year. I use to burn 4-5 cords of wood it it along with the furnace...The chimney is 40 plus feet..My furnace only heat me water...so it really doesn't come on much at all...

bigruckus said:
I vent mine in an old double brick chimney in my house...the chimney is in the center of the house and it's also lined...I have used it for about 2 months with my Thelin pellet stove and it has worked great...I also have my oil furnace hooked up to it...my furance is in the basement and my pellet stove is on the first floor..my chimney flue is 8" square...I do clean the chimney every year. I use to burn 4-5 cords of wood it it along with the furnace...The chimney is 40 plus feet..My furnace only heat me water...so it really doesn't come on much at all...

Oh, man, yer gonna get a bunch of crap for this one, just so ya know. Hang on..........

Sounds like a code violations to me! :bug:

Depends on weather it is a double flue chimney and if each device is going into a different flue.

Otherwise it is a code violation unless the same use is now being made of the chimney that was in place when bigrukus moved in.

And bigruckus this is a state level code requirement.

KNKN said:
When venting into a clay lined chimney with flex pipe about six foot up. Should one block off around the pipe? In essence turning the whole chimney into a forced air system? Or is it best to leave it open and allow natural draft to do its job? Nothing else uses the chimney and its in the center of the house in the basement and goes about 25-30 feet up.

You really should run that liner up to the top of the chimney and cap it off up there.

The partial flue lining may work fine and may be allowable where you are, however you should block it off if for no other reason than to stop heat air from being drawn up through the flue (just like the fireplace did). Note this means ash build up will take place on the blocking plate (hence the full length liner recommendation above).

SmokeyTheBear said:
Depends on weather it is a double flue chimney and if each device is going into a different flue.

Otherwise it is a code violation unless the same use is now being made of the chimney that was in place when bigrukus moved in.

And bigruckus this is a state level code requirement.

Double it is...sorry I scared everyone...

The main reason I wondered about this is I have been having leak issues on this dura vent pipe. Every joint leaks out of it and I have siliconed the hell out of it to stop the leaks. It would give me a better peace of mind knowing there is someplace for the smoke to escape to if it springs a leak again or say the worst happens and I have some type of stove or vent fire. Losing heat up the chimney does not seem like it would be a big issue since this is in the basement and most of the heat is going to rise through the vents I have cut in the floor above the the stove and also through the actual ceiling above since it is open to the hardwood floors in the bedrooms above the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.