venting issue/ question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chipsaway

Jan 11, 2010
western pa
i have a us stove 6300 unit vents straight out the back of the furnace directly outside then up the outside wall with a 90 degree elbow and a termination cap. the cap is the sloped fron type i used simpson duravent for pellet stoves and furnaces. my question is this i have a deck directly above where my vent is i had no choice as this was the only location i could put the vent. the deck does not interfere with the venting but rather the fumes are turning my deck black. i know i can pressure wash it off but ist making a real mess. was wondering if anybody has same issue or has ran into this and what have you done about it? i was thinking of putting a tin roof on the underside of the deck to keep it from comming up through. not sure if im stuck with what i got or if there is a possible solution any input is appreciated thanks

You say your venting runs up the outside wall...
How far? Is it a 60" length?
If it is, can you shorten it?
Maybe a 3 footer will give the fly ash a chance to
go some where else & not on your deck...

If you are venting underneath a deck most local codes frown upon that or even forbid it. This also goes for all sorts of combustion appliances such hot water tanks, furnaces etc.

dac122 said:
If you are venting underneath a deck most local codes frown upon that or even forbid it. This also goes for all sorts of combustion appliances such hot water tanks, furnaces etc.

Can I see that in writing? I have an install manual for every product I sell &
install & while I haven't looked thru & memorized every possible venting configuration,
I haven't found one that DOES NOT allow venting under
a deck, porch or balcony (other than wood stoves), provided the specified clearances are met.
Most of them are allowed to be installed with the top of the vent cap a MINIMUM
of 12" below the under side of the structure. Anything more than that is "gravy"
as long as the other clearances are met- like height above ground level...
I will admit, however that the JHA can specify & naysay anything he wants to, because he
has the power (& the red pen!) to do so...

Status
Not open for further replies.