1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Venting question

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Pedro, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Pedro

Pedro New Member

Loc:
    Kawartha Lakes Ont
    I am replacing the wood burner on the main floor with my Harman pellet stove. The wood stove is connected to a liner in the chimney. Rather than adapt to the liner I was thinking of removing the liner and making a hole through the exterior brick of the chimney at the thimble height for the pellet venting. Reason I would like to take this route is for easier cleaning vs climbing on the roof as its very steep. Is there any recommended or special methods of doing this that I should know about ?
    Thanks
    Pete

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Justin M

Justin M Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southbury, CT
    Why ruin your chimney when you can just brush the liner from the inside. There's no need to go on the roof if you want to avoid it.
  3. The Maine Stove Guy

The Maine Stove Guy New Member

Loc:
    Bangor, Maine
    Although I kind of agree with Justin, if you decide to go that route.. plan the installation just as if you were going to vent it out a wall. Use a wall thimble and follow the manufacturers installation instructions for venting thru the wall. From my experience, you would be less likely to run into insurance company issues if you stick to the installation instructions for that situation. I have seen this done and kind of "gumped" together and it can be an issue. Good luck with the Project.
    Warm Regards.
  4. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kinsman, Oh 44428 Brookfield, Oh 44403
    Done a few of those Pedro. Bricks are cheap and easy to replace. The ease of cleaning is great.

Eric
  5. smwilliamson

smwilliamson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    You can drop another liner inside your existing liner.
  6. Pedro

Pedro New Member

Loc:
    Kawartha Lakes Ont
    I

I removed the wood stove thimble today and it looks easy to core a hole through the brick. So now I just have to remove the liner. I used a soot eater to clean the stove liner and think it will be easier to clean the pellet vent having easier access than another liner.