1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Venting smoke through wall

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by hartkem, Jan 9, 2013.

1. hartkem

hartkem Member

Loc:
    KC
    I had a smoke hood built at a sheet metal shop and I am in the process of installing it above my eko. I really can't go out the roof because of space and need to go through the wall. I can find 8" wall vent caps for dryers and range hoods but I am concerned that they would cause the siding on my building to get stained from soot. They direct the smoke down and not out and up. I also need a backdraft flap built into it. Any ideas?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. hobbyheater

hobbyheater Minister of Fire

http://www.roofvents.com/categories.php This company has a very interesting wall vent .
  3. huffdawg

huffdawg Minister of Fire

Loc:
    British Columbia Canada
    Put the pipe through the wall then use a 90
  4. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Reduce to 6" before you go out - to give you more options?

My old cobbled one was just 6", seemed to be lots.
  5. stee6043

stee6043 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    I don't think you're going to have soot/stain issues with a smoke "hood". You're not going to be venting that much smoke, at least I wouldn't think.

I have my "exhaust vent" vented through a louvered cap that directs the air down along a section of siding on the back of my house. I only run my blower once in a while when I know I'm loading at a bad time but I've never had any staining issues.
  6. goosegunner

goosegunner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI
  7. goosegunner

goosegunner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI
  8. SIERRADMAX

SIERRADMAX Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    RI
    I use a 4" in-line "Hurricane Fan". Rating on the side says 200cfm. I vented to the outside with a 4" fully stainless steel dryer vent kit. Vent kit has a damper built in. Seal the seams with foil tape. It will suck a piece of paper through the opening in my hood.

Haven't used it yet for reloading but it works well for venting soldering fumes!
  9. 711mhw

711mhw Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western ME
    ....soldering fumes and cleaning the boiler dust!