1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

venting under decks

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by GRIMREAPER35, Nov 25, 2013.

1. GRIMREAPER35

GRIMREAPER35 New Member

Loc:
    KINGSTON NY
    Can a pellet stove be vented underneath a second story deck?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Dgopetactical

Dgopetactical Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    York County, Pa
    What is the distance from the pipe termination to the deck?
  3. Dgopetactical

Dgopetactical Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    York County, Pa
    I would think that would be against code.
  4. GRIMREAPER35

GRIMREAPER35 New Member

Loc:
    KINGSTON NY
    I was thinking the same thing but it would terminate about 12 feet under the deck.
  5. altmartion

altmartion Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    pulaski ny
    I don't think it can terminate under a deck. at least not here. the gasses will eat away at the wood anyway.
  6. GRIMREAPER35

GRIMREAPER35 New Member

Loc:
    KINGSTON NY
  7. GRIMREAPER35

GRIMREAPER35 New Member

Loc:
    KINGSTON NY
    Ok wasn't sure I will have to try sometyhing else. Tks
  8. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

As I am most familiar with Harman, but, I do believe their manual states that you have to be a minimum of 12" below a deck, so, therefore, yes you can, as long as you follow clearances.....
  9. altmartion

Loc:
    pulaski ny
    I would check local codes. personally it would take a while to do any real damage, but if it ever burnt...
  10. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

youre not likely to find it specifically addressed in the local codes, which is why you need to go to your manual. Which is where I went for the 12" clearance. The manual (most stoves are UL listed these days, and that listing technically trumps code, but you'll have to convince your local inspector of that)
  11. GRIMREAPER35

GRIMREAPER35 New Member

Loc:
    KINGSTON NY
    Im going to call englander and see what the clearances nd che
  12. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

you'd best get that in writing, for the code official when he inspects it....if he/she were to question it
  13. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    By all means check local codes.

Most local codes amount to following the manufacturer's installation instructions for a listed appliance.

Further 12 feet is 12 times the distance usually listed in the clearances in this case. There are likely other things in that area that can cause problems like windows and doors that can be opened.

LW how's the stoves selling this year?
    Lousyweather likes this.
  14. GRIMREAPER35

GRIMREAPER35 New Member

Loc:
    KINGSTON NY
  15. GRIMREAPER35

GRIMREAPER35 New Member

Loc:
    KINGSTON NY
    I have the clearancs from windows but I dnt want to damage my deck . I will try to call Englander again tomorrow no luck with manuel or reaching them by phone. Thanks again to all!
  16. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

actually, VERY good year......will know better by years' end, but, all-in-all, good. Pellets getting scarce tho......
    SmokeyTheBear likes this.
  17. rickwai

rickwai Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    ohio
    12 feet is plenty of clearance. That is 1 1/2 stories. If you vent a stove out the side wall on a single story hose and have the min. 3' rise you are only 4' or so from the soffit.
  18. Countryboymo

Countryboymo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    W Central MO
    I moved mine over in the basement so it comes out past the deck stairs and then vents. I have about 5' vertical before it 90's to the outside so it still pulls a great draft even though the evl is close to the top of the limit. I have seriously considered either running it up through the deck next to the exterior wall and through the soffit and just boxing it in on the outside where its visible or probably inside on corner of a room or on a wall and box the pipe in with sheetrock and then make triangular shelves for pictures or whatever. I bet the cat or dog would be stuck to it in those cold winter evenings sleeping.
  19. doug crann

doug crann New Member

Loc:
    eastern washington
    Last I looked the code for this sort of stuff in Eastern Washington....refer to the owners manual.....
  20. altmartion

Loc:
    pulaski ny
    yes, some do. and then the manual says to check with the local codes. so who knows. if it is a concern the best thing to do is check with local codes. what they say goes. if they say follow the manual then so be it. the problem is, if something goes wrong, who is at fault, which may be the intention, I guess. lol