Vents? In chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DennisB

Oct 24, 2016
North Carolina
Hello all, new guy here. I had a company come out to clean and inspect our chimney. They pulled out our wood stove and after cleaning he pointed out two openings, one on each side of the chimney. It appears each one vents into the other flues. One is for the oil furnace, the other is for the downstairs fireplace. Three flue chimney. He says it looks like the builders didn't finish the chimney (house built in 1959). I'm no expert but it looks like it's by design to me. Both openings same size, same opposite location, about 8 inches above the opening of the fireplace. Has anyone seen anything like this? I'm posting the best pic I could get of it. Thanks! Dennis.

Attachments

• chimney.jpg
    chimney.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 185
Not sure what options are possible without being on site. It will partly depend on how large the interior of the chimney is. This may take eliminating the lower fireplace? Bring in a certified chimney sweep to go over options. www.csia.org Ask about installing an insert and running two insulated liners up the chimney. One for the insert and one for the furnace.

Not sure what options are possible without being on site. It will partly depend on how large the interior of the chimney is. This may take eliminating the lower fireplace? Bring in a certified chimney sweep to go over options. www.csia.org Ask about installing an insert and running two insulated liners up the chimney. One for the insert and one for the furnace.

A certified sweep is what came out. The oil furnace has been dead for years, the basement fireplace doesn't get used. We pretty much heat the whole house with that wood insert, so now we don't know what to do. The sweep said to build in/ block off those two holes.

Ah, there is or was an insert installed. Was this a slammer install with no direct connection to the chimney? If yes, what is the insert mak/model?

It may be possible to brick up the old oil furnace hole and lower fireplace and then run a full stainless steel liner down the chimney (after it is completely cleaned) that connected to the insert.

Ah, there is or was an insert installed. Was this a slammer install with no direct connection to the chimney? If yes, what is the insert mak/model?

It may be possible to brick up the old oil furnace hole and lower fireplace and then run a full stainless steel liner down the chimney (after it is completely cleaned) that connected to the insert.

We have a Buck stove in the basement, and a Fisher Mama Bear on the main floor. Each appliance has it's own flue. The chimney itself is huge. All three flues are the same size. The Fisher is the one we use. And yup, I just stuck it in the firebox, insulated around the flange and fired it up. Been that way for 5 years. This is the only pic I have right now. It's set in a solid stone wall. All brick house.

Attachments

• AASTOVE.jpg
    AASTOVE.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 113
We have a Buck stove in the basement, and a Fisher Mama Bear on the main floor. Each appliance has it's own flue. The chimney itself is huge. All three flues are the same size. The Fisher is the one we use. And yup, I just stuck it in the firebox, insulated around the flange and fired it up. Been that way for 5 years. This is the only pic I have right now. It's set in a solid stone wall. All brick house.
Yeah that type of install no loner meets code. The code was changed because it was found that installs like this can be quite dangerous and very hard to service correctly. The fix for those holes is a liner run from the stove to the top of the chimney after all that creosote is cleaned out.

Yeah that type of install no loner meets code. The code was changed because it was found that installs like this can be quite dangerous and very hard to service correctly. The fix for those holes is a liner run from the stove to the top of the chimney after all that creosote is cleaned out.

Gotcha. I'm checking into getting the insert boot for it. but the damper rod on this model is an issue. Here's a pic.

Attachments

• aaaaastovetop.jpg
    aaaaastovetop.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 118
Gotcha. I'm checking into getting the insert boot for it. but the damper rod on this model is an issue. Here's a pic.
You can just use a round appliance adapter and notch it around the rod. We have done quite a few of them through the years. Your buck would need a boot if you wanted to hook a liner to it though

You can just use a round appliance adapter and notch it around the rod. We have done quite a few of them through the years. Your buck would need a boot if you wanted to hook a liner to it though

Pardon my ignorance. Something like this?

Attachments

• appliance cap.jpg
    appliance cap.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 84
Pardon my ignorance. Something like this?
Well sort of like that but you cant reduce the size your liner needs to be the size of that outlet all the way up. When you order the liner you will order a matching appliance adapter

We have a Buck stove in the basement, and a Fisher Mama Bear on the main floor. Each appliance has it's own flue.
Wait, are there three separate clay flue liners in the chimney? Or are the downstairs fireplace and the oil burner dumping into a large open main floor chimney? I thought it was the latter.

Also, is the main floor fireplace chimney clay tile lined or bare brick all the way up?

Last edited:
Wait, are there three separate clay flue liners in the chimney? Or are the downstairs fireplace and the oil burner dumping into a large open main floor chimney? I thought it was the latter.

Also, is the main floor fireplace chimney clay tile lined or bare brick all the way up?

Three separate clay liners. I'll have to look tonight at the main floor chimney.

OK, that is a better scenario. At first it sounded like the basement and and furnace were dumping into a common flue. It doesn't explain those two openings though. Regardless, this becomes a moot point once the stove is directly connected to a full insulated liner.

OK, that is a better scenario. At first it sounded like the basement and and furnace were dumping into a common flue. It doesn't explain those two openings though. Regardless, this becomes a moot point once the stove is directly connected to a full insulated liner.

Well, I contacted Rockford Supply to order a kit, and they said there ain't no way I can make the top cap work with that damper bar on top of my stove. :rolleyes:

Well, I contacted Rockford Supply to order a kit, and they said there ain't no way I can make the top cap work with that damper bar on top of my stove.
Well they dont know what they are talking about then you just take the appliance adapter which needs to be sized correctly for the opening in the stove and cut notches for the bar. I have done it atleast a dozen times.

Well they dont know what they are talking about then you just take the appliance adapter which needs to be sized correctly for the opening in the stove and cut notches for the bar. I have done it atleast a dozen times.

Well, I'm taking your advice and running with it. I have it pictured in my small brain as to what you're talking about. I truly appreciate your input. I was lost there for a while. I owe you two beers!

Status
Not open for further replies.