Verify white oak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

saewoody

Feeling the Heat
Feb 15, 2017
CT
I usually come across red oak, but this is the first time I think I have come across white oak. I have searched some other posts, but just wanted to be sure. Thanks in advance. 94fdf5e28372a82a0e156378e0cc9f05.jpg5a8191cac141ce21d6264c8f4b3ae11f.jpg5e0e7b6b9efab2f2a74d51d858beb84d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not an east coast guy and have never cut a hickory, but that looks to be some sort of hickory.

What they said!!

I guess the jury is in! Thanks for the responses. Now I wish I had more of it. I can't remember where I scrounged it from.

+1
Hickory will typically have a distinctive, strong, funky smell, totally unlike white oak, which has a smoother aroma (think bourbon).

Reactions: saewoody
+1
Hickory will typically have a distinctive, strong, funky smell, totally unlike white oak, which has a smoother aroma (think bourbon).

Interesting. I didn't find it to be that strong smelling. The red oak I split I find to be smelly; Unless that is actually white oak that I believe to be red because of the interior color

You can smell white oaks sweet vanilla like odor from acros the yard. Shaggy has a mich diff odor but i dont find it that strong. Mine has an earthy/buttery/savory type of smell. Hard to describe but nothing like oak. That bark is 100% though.