Vermiculite concerns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

pellet9999

Hearth Supporter
Sep 3, 2008
ny
some stoves have Vermiculite baffles... this natural mineral is mined and is tied to rare lung cancers......
anyone else concerned about these panels..???

pellet9999 said:
some stoves have Vermiculite baffles... this natural mineral is mined and is tied to rare lung cancers......
anyone else concerned about these panels..???

Hmm... I'm interested in the responses as I just ordered a new vermiculite baffle to replace my cast iron baffles on my jotul f500.

I believe you are thinking of zonolite, which was a brand name of a vermiculite that was mined decades ago from a source that contained tremolite, a form of asbestos. The vermiculite you get today is safe (unless you get it out of your attic that was insulted forty years ago). No worries.

Correct -- don't worry about vermiculite --it's the old stuff with asbestos in it you need to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.