1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Vermont 0028 rattle

Post in 'Vermont Castings & CDW Dutchwest older Models' started by Yellbird, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Yellbird

Yellbird New Member

Loc:
    N Ill
    Anyone have any idea how to stop rattle. I believe it's the left heat deflector and just started to rattle, not all the time but more and more. Seems to stop when I open the lid. Natural it started
    as soon as the weather got colder, at least around the Chicago area. Noticed is seemed kind of loose when replaced a couple of parts this summer.

Thanks for any advice

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. defiant3

defiant3 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    No. NH
    More likely the 2ndary air flap, located behind a cover plate in the lower middle of the back of the stove. Tighten it bend it do whatever, but be SURE that it still moves freely!!

Happy heating
  3. homebrewz

homebrewz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    East Central, NY
    I agree with defiant3. Its almost definitely the secondary air intake shutter. I wouldn't bend it, but you might consider replacing the spring on which it operates. The temperature probe which extends into the refractory gets dirty sometimes. Just touch it up with a wire brush.
  4. Yellbird

Yellbird New Member

Loc:
    N Ill
    I think your both correct, a short time ago the spring came off which I just put back on, I will look at it again. Thanks so much.