Vermont C. Large Winter Warm damper gasket replace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2012
I need to replace the damper gasket on my LWM. I have a couple questions. Is it possible to do this gasket w/o taking the upper fireback out, by just opening the damper door and gluing it in? I have tried this with limited success. If so how do you keep the gaskets in place and not have them keep falling loose, during installation and curing? Is there any special adhesive or self adhesive gasket that anyone has used?

I know it is best to take the damper out but I'm a little nervous about breaking rusted bolts and lining up the damper with the control rod on reinstallation. Is it a tricky job?

Lastly we don't use the stove as much as in the past. What are thoughts of those on the forum about not replacing the gasket at all, especially from a safety standpoint? I know the stove won't work as well and be as air tight, but I'm using the fire now more as a decoration than heat.

I've only regasketed 2 of these, but I"m pretty sure it has to be taken apart. If you are gonna do it, might as well get a gasket kit from your dealer, (or hire them to do it) and change them all. If it's only for looks, just let it be. No safety issues, only effeciency issues.

I've only regasketed 2 of these, but I"m pretty sure it has to be taken apart. If you are gonna do it, might as well get a gasket kit from your dealer, (or hire them to do it) and change them all. If it's only for looks, just let it be. No safety issues, only effeciency issues.

Do you recall if it was difficult to line up/connect the damper control rod on the reinstallation? Thanks

Do you recall if it was difficult to line up/connect the damper control rod on the reinstallation? Thanks
I don't remember it being any more difficult than anything else on the unit. It is all kinda difficult. If you have any warped parts it can make it even worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.