Vermont casting defiant encore

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

brogsie

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Dec 19, 2007
eastern MA
I have a defiant encore made in 1986, new cat converter this year. Stove is in like new condition. I get the stove up to 600 then close the bypass. I think the converter is going off but not sure. I still get whitish-brown smoke out the chimney (doesn't look like steam). Being made before epa standards went into effect, is this smoke normal w/cat? Would there be smoke if the by-pass damper gasket needed replacing? Anyway to tell if converter is working other than no-smoke? I have read about using a thermometer to check the converter, not sure where to place the thermometer for this. Thanks for any help.

Any catalytic encore would be clean burning.

In general, the converter will simply work - especially a new one. If you want to make sure, install a probe of some sort - if the temp in the converter is over 800-1000 at some points in the burn, then you can guess it is working.

Thanks Craig,

Should I drill a hole into the chimney pipe just above the stove for the probe?

Neither the offical EPA cat Encores or the pre-EPA cat Encores had holes for probe temperatures. The Vermont VC designers and engineers found no need for them.
We've had 3 cat Encores since around 1987. Here's our routine with our 2001 2550 Encore ( Bordeaux porcelain ):
1. Get the top griddle temp up to 500 + F with a fresh load of firewood.
2. Pull (or push) the damper into the closed position.
3. Wait until the temperature rises --10-15 minutes( with the damper initially shut, the fire will go down).
4. Then adjust the air control to the desired setting after the rise in temp.

That's all it takes. It's the rationale for the so-called "simplicity" of non-cat stoves. No "extra" steps involved.

The darker smoke you see after shuting the damper is simply the residual particulates flowing up the flue before they get the chance to be re-burned by the glowing cat. Give it time, maybe 10-15 minutes for the cat to do its magic. No need to be compulsive about that cat temperature unles you're an engineer; you'll know when it really dies by the stove performance, and real dark creosote smoke coming out the chimney when the air control is shut. Look over the combustor maintenance information, including the serious vinegar bath cleaning. :sick:

Heating 24/7 , active gaskets --doors, ash pan, damper --are changed yearly in both our stoves. Just a fussy, no big deal.

downeast said:
Neither the offical EPA cat Encores or the pre-EPA cat Encores had holes for probe temperatures. The Vermont VC designers and engineers found no need for them.

I can't understand how this is possible. Although the regulations I have are current, catalytic stoves are required to have a probe mounting location for catalytic temperature monitoring. That baffles me?

Corie said:
downeast said:

I can't understand how this is possible. Although the regulations I have are current, catalytic stoves are required to have a probe mounting location for catalytic temperature monitoring. That baffles me?

Didn't know that the EPA rules specified that.
No baffles in non-cats.......Baffles me too. You did know that was funny ? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.