vermont casting vigilant stove 8 inch 2 6 inch adaper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jstokes8407

Hearth Supporter
Sep 15, 2010
long island ny
Hi guys just aquired a vc vigilant stove, my old stove is a 6 inch double walled pipe to 6 inch trippled wall pipe and the vigilant stove says 8 inch oval to 8 inch round can use a 8 inch oval 2 6inch round adaper ? what are my pros and cons ? will this cause problems ? i'm a newbee so go easy thanks

Welcome, jstokes. Probably won't draft well - may get by if straight up and tall chimney. Probably get mucho back puffing when opening stove door. The Vigilant is designed for a chimney surface of 50"sq - you're changing to 28"sq. Each case is different - so won't be sure unless you try it.

I used a 22 ft long 6 inch pipe with a VC Defiant CAT for one season with terrible back-puffing; recently switched to an 8 inch pipe. So far it seems much better. A local VC dealer mentioned never to reduce the pipe diameter from the stove collar, although some may have had success in doing this; I certainly didn't.

The Vigilant is going to be happiest with an 8" flue all the way. On 6" pipe, if the used stove's secondary passages are not completely clean and free of ash it may be balky and a poor burner once the bypass is closed. It needs good draft to burn well.

I'm using a Defiant Encore with the 8" flue collar reduced to a 6" pipe.. 2.5' horizontal run to a T, then 24' straight up and out.. insulated flex liner. Very little or almost no problems with draft. However, I found a Vigilant for some friends and so I've been reading about the 8"/6" issue. Everything I've read on here seems to indicate the Vigilant will not like the reduction in chimney size.

If you hook it up, be sure to post your results to add to the information here. Thanks.

I burn in a VC Vigilant. I run 8" pipe that is reduced to a 7" thimble, which goes into an 8" (nominal) clay-tile flue about 25' tall. The inside diameter of my flue is about 7", which gives an area of 49 sq.in., roughly the same cross-sectional area as 8" pipe. However, the local VC gurus tell me that, because of the square shape, my flue only draws a bit better than a 6" round pipe would. And there's that flue gas bottleneck to deal with from the 7" thimble. Still, I have no problems with draft, but it's an interior chimney, and I have a pretty good prevailing wind direction. I can keep the front doors open wide and burn it like a fireplace with no smoke ever, even with a cold start. I can also open my top loading door without a hint of smoke coming out. Here's a video I took last season.

Notice how the flames start to build as the air hits the fire from above. They bend over sharply and roar across the closed bypass damper plate and up the flue. With a big fire in there it can get downright intimidating at first, until you realize it's just the way she burns. No wearing a welding gauntlet and reaching inside this baby to adjust a misplaced log at the bottom. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.