Vermont Castings Intrepid on Craigslist. Should I take a chance?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nic36

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 23, 2008
Decatur, Alabama
I've been looking for small stoves to heat my 650 square foot house next winter. I'm not dead set on any one brand stove, but choices down here seem to be limited. I stumbled across this yesterday.

From the information the seller gave me, it appears that this is an older non-cat stove (Model 1302) The seller says that the stove is in good condition and was in their condo when they purchased it.

I realize there are too many unknowns about a used stove, just looking for any second opinions. I'm in no hurry either. I have all spring, summer, and fall to find something.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/for/632480487.html

The early, non-cat Intrepid is probably worth passing on. I'd look harder for a catalytic model.

Given the shape VC is in, you might want to consider another brand. Parts for VC will be getting harder to get & more expensive in the years to come.

Yeah, I think I'll pass. It is an old stove. I would hate to buy a stove that needed some repair and not be able to purchase parts.

Due to their current state, I don't even know if I should be looking at a new Vermont Castings product.

Nothing against VC, just be aware they are currently still charging oodles of cash for parts compared to other vendors and they are having some financial trouble. Several other stove MFR's seem to be solid so it would be wise to consider a different stove at this point looking down the road to the future. If VC can get it turned around I'd have no problem recommending their products again.

Uncertainly on a stove that requires a rebuild every 5-7 years is not the place I'd want to be.

Nic36 said:
I've been looking for small stoves to heat my 650 square foot house next winter. I'm not dead set on any one brand stove, but choices down here seem to be limited. I stumbled across this yesterday.

From the information the seller gave me, it appears that this is an older non-cat stove (Model 1302) The seller says that the stove is in good condition and was in their condo when they purchased it.

I realize there are too many unknowns about a used stove, just looking for any second opinions. I'm in no hurry either. I have all spring, summer, and fall to find something.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/for/632480487.html

See if you can get the guy to send you some more pictures of it, inside and out. I wouldn't automatically disregard this stove just because it's old, and a non-catalytic stove. I've got an old V.C. Resolute,manufactured ~1985, that my brother gave me when he bought his house 10 or so years ago. He wanted to get it off of his hearth so he could use his fireplace. And as far as a non-cat vs. cat stoves, I'd much rather have a non-cat stove so I don't have to deal with the expense of the catalyst when it goes bad.

Actually, I would rather have a non-cat stove as well. (Not to start a cat vs non-cat debate here, as I've read those threads already) However, I do want a relatively clean burning stove. I have only one neighbor that is close to me. I just finished up my chimney install and that's why I am in the stove buying phase. My neighbors are nice folks, but I am really not sure what they thought when they saw me install the chimney through the roof last week. I have a feeling they were not happy to see that, although I have not talked to them about it. So, I don't want to compound the situation by smoking them out too.

It's a shame about Vermont Castings. When I first started looking for small stoves, I thought the Intrepid was just what I needed. At the very least, it's a good looking stove. Until I came here, I had no idea they had such a troubled past. Unfortunately, the closest stove shop here is almost an exclusive VC dealer, and that's all the dealer wanted to show me. Well, that and the Dutchwest stoves. They are Hearthstone dealers too, and I wanted to price a Tribute stove, but was totally steered away from that. I may have to go back with my knowledge of VCs current state and maybe negotiate.

I will probably pass on this stove, but I may ask for some more pictures.

You might want to consider the small Englander, it is a great stove and you can order it from Lowe's or HD. If you love the look of cast Jotul and Morso are nice. Soapstone is my favorite and Woodstock and Hearthstone make a couple smaller units.
Whatever, you will love the wood burning life.

After reading the good things about the Englander stoves here I was very interested in one. However, I have never seen one for sale here. My job allows me to travel through several counties and I have never seen one for sale in the other three Lowe's I have been to . The Home Depots do not even sell wood stove products of any kind here. I think only one store in my area is listed by Englander as a dealer, and it is 50 miles from where I live. Wood stove products are just not popular down here. I never thought about ordering one. That may be something I can look into. However, asking Lowe's employees for help has never gone that well.

I have considered Jotul, but the closest dealer is also about 75 miles away. I don't think there is a Morso dealer anywhere close to me either. I know I'll find something I will be happy with before next winter if I am patient.

I have rebuilt a number of VC stoves over the years but decided last year that it wasn't worth the time, partly because of the cost of parts but also the questionable finshed product. The refractory package (whether cat. or non-cat ) is troublesome and fragile. In over twenty years of hearth service I can count on one hand the number of people willing to do what it takes to keep these operating well. When they're good- they're good. when they're bad they're real bad. The problem now seems to be "airtightness". A neighbor replaced his old VC with a new one and then called me to troubleshoot why he couldn't get more than a six hour burn. The factory told him they didn't know (hint: wrong answer). The stove leaks air. You cannot control combustion if you can't control the air. The real culprit in my opinion is that you cannot long rely on a component joint which is refractory between two metal pieces. Different rates of expansion/contraction for different materials means that over time that material will loosen and migrate. If you are considering a cast iron stove look at the Morso and the Hampton. These are both gasketed and bolted together.I will not sell or install another catalytic stove. Adding a converter is like putting lipstick on a pig.

J.T. aka Black Goose

Well I have just received a used 1985 VC Resolute that has not been used for 10 years . The chimney sweep that is going to set it up and put the necessary pipe up my chimney to run this stove, says it looks good to him and is going to regasket it and it should be fine. Some of you are saying it is not worth trying because VC are not good. Back in the 80s the VC and the Jotul were the best if I remember right so now why are they(the older ones) not good? I really need this stove not be smoky or I am cooked and will be shut down and not allowed to use it if it smokes.
Help make me feel better about the decsion to put this in. It worked fine when it was taken out of the house and an bigger one was put in to accomodate a bigger home. It was given to me by the original owner.

A 1302 in mostly unused condition is a great find. If you don't overfire the little thing it will last for many years.

And the 1302 is easy to take apart and reseal.

Status
Not open for further replies.