Vermont Castings issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snow shue

Hearth Supporter
Nov 3, 2010
nct
This my first post so bear with me. I have a Vermont Castings Encore model 2550. Great large unit but two performance issues I seek help with. First is the damper handle on the left has a mind of its own. it will spring open several times a day. It is quite anoying and seems to run much hooter when damper open thus using more wood. i have looked up there when unit is cold and can sense a spring or mechanism is not working but it is in such a strange area can't figure what is broken even looking at a schematic. Second how do you know if the unit is air tight in all spaces. even with thermosat in off type postion the stove tends to run hot and I believe it could be asir comming in through the bottom ash pan perhaps. Unit is in great shape all new linings and cleaned out once a year. Any advice on where to start would be appreciated great forum.

If your Encore is relatively new, the clamp on the damper door may have loosened up.
It has a raised boss that will engage the damper rod to keep the damper closed, but
it works mostly on friction & if it has loosened & moved out of position it won't hold.

If your stove has been around a while, the cast iron hole - where the damper rod goes
thru the left side of the stove body - may have elongated to an out-of-round condition.
You will have to ream the hole to make it bigger ( & rounder) & press a bushing in, or
you will have to replace the entire left side.

If you have an incense stick or a cigarette, you can check for air leaks. While the stove is burning,
move the stick/cig all around the stove especially around the doors & seams & see if smoke is drawn in.
Let us know what you find...

Status
Not open for further replies.