1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Vermont Castings Merrimack

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by daveydog, Jul 31, 2010.

1. shayes8888

shayes8888 New Member

Loc:
    7 miles west of Banks, Oregon
    I don't know, exactly. There are air burn tubes at the top of the firebox, with some sort of super heat shield behind that. The flames tend to "dance" at the top of the firebox then exit out towards the top/front. Then back across the top of the insert to the 6" flu. It is mezzmurizing to watch...

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. obrien040362

obrien040362 New Member

Loc:
    Dayton, Ohio
    How bad is this deal

Merrimack with Cast Iron Surrond $3000

Delivery $150

Liner Kit $15' $489

Install by Chimney Contractor $835
  3. micaaronfl

micaaronfl Member

Loc:
    pennsylvania
    can anyone tell me exactly how bad is the merrimacks fan noise? what would u describe the noise level at?

very close to buying one.
  4. WhitePointBeach

WhitePointBeach New Member

Loc:
    Southern Maryland
    Musky Hunter,

That looks like a very reasonable deal to me. Mine was about $4300 installed. $3052 for Merrimack (-$250 VC rebate), then about $775 in chimney lining materials (liner, insulation, cap). Then about $700 for installation and delivery.

Mica,

The noise level is defined as precisely as scientifically possible outside of an anechoic chamber in one of my previous posts. The full range of decibel (dBA) ratings is detailed by fan speed level. There is also a link to a wikipedia article on how a decibel rating translates to actual sound. If you want a subjective opinion... my opinion is that the sound level is livable, but very noticeable on high speeds. At 30% fan speed, which is blowing decently, the sound level is like a quiet dishwasher which I think is livable. (see the decibel ratings on the new ones). At full speed the noise is very annoying and is roughly equivalent to an electric hand mixer running full time in your living room. Never as loud as a vacuum cleaner or shop vac. I wouls say it depends on where you are putting it. Mine is in my living room next to my TV where me and my family spend 50% of our time in the house, so it is right there with us. I am also a stickler for quiet, so if routine noises don't bother you this may not either. We live in the country and it is very quiet here. The only thing you can hear for miles around is my Merrimack on high! Just kidding! :)
  5. vector1701

vector1701 Member

Loc:
    North Kingstown, Rhode Island
    Musky,

I went with a Jotul, but when I was considering the Merrimack a few weeks ago I talked to about 10 shops. The best price I could find on the stove was $2000, plus 400 for the cast iron surround. My best price soup to nuts was $ 3747

Installs varied from 450 - 700 depending on the shop (and/or the installer), not including a chimney sweep of your existing chimney before the install (recommended) of $70-100 (discounted since he was also performing the install).

Here is my list of prices for reference...I like to shop around :)

Merrimack
    Retail - 2593
    Northfield Cast Iron Surround Retail - 499

CAFD
    Southington, CT
    (860) 621-9313

CAFD Discount 1 - 2105
    CAFD Discount 2 - 2000
    Northfield Surround.
    Retail - 499
    CAFD Discount - 392

Install
    CAFD Liner (30 ft) - 630
    CAFD Labor - 595 install 125 Sweep - 725
    CAFD total (installed) - 3747 with sweep 3622 without sweep

Stovepipe RI
    Stove + surround - 3170
    Install - 400
    Liner - 600
    Total - 4200

Wakefield Fireplace
    Stove & Surround - 2700
    Liner 600
    Install 550
    Total - 3850

Stove King
    Stove & Surround 3150
    Liner 550 25 foot

Franklin Fireplace
    Stove & Surround - 3092

MAINLINE HEATING & SUPPLY
    Stove - 2593 + 499 surround

Stove Depot
    Stove & Surround - 2593 + 499

Natick Fireplace
    Stove 2500 + 450
    550 Liner
    Block off plate bottom $50 and top
    Install - 700

-------------------

micaaronfl

When I was looking at the Merrimack a dealer told me Vermont Castings "upgraded" to a plastic fan as the older metal ones caused too much noise and rattled over time...
  6. obrien040362

obrien040362 New Member

Loc:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Thanks for making me feel good, but I say they got me for $500 or so.

I normally research and become well informed before a purchase but not in this case.

They win.
  7. micaaronfl

micaaronfl Member

Loc:
    pennsylvania
    wow a 250 dollar rebate, anyone know if that is still avalible for the merrimack? i emailed vermont castings but i didnt get a response to an earlier question.
  8. vector1701

vector1701 Member

Loc:
    I asked about the 250 rebate and one stove shop told me that some shops participate in the rebate program and some do not....It may depend on the Vermont Castings sales at that shop.
  9. micaaronfl

micaaronfl Member

Loc:
    pennsylvania
    thanks i currently have a dealer down to 4790 with install, last dealer qouted 5,100
  10. shayes8888

shayes8888 New Member

Loc:
    My September 17, 2010, Oregon dealer invoice was $2593, minus $250 rebate which he took off, plus $229 for classic steel surround. Delivered from Kentucky to Oregon, with that cost in paid by dealer. Installer was separate business named All Fuel. Their labor was $550, venting $488.79, and permit for $119, for a total install cost at $1157.79. Total: $3730.79.
  11. micaaronfl

micaaronfl Member

Loc:
    pennsylvania
    does anyone have any suggestions on how to get heat into other rooms with a wood insert. I have an electric heat pump and that has a 1 1/2 horsepower fan (which i was told by another dealer thats more than enough to push the heat through the other rooms) that pushes through my basement. i have also return vents at the top of the wall in most rooms. i am not a big fan of ceiling fans so im lookign for an alternative low cost solution. I was told by another dealer to install vents in the celing above the wood insert but i figure that wouldnt do anything without some way of pushing the heat through.
  12. vector1701

vector1701 Member

Loc:
    Just a thought....

http://gizmodo.com/5157470/room-to-room-fan-helps-cut-down-on-your-energy-bill

[​IMG]
  13. micaaronfl

micaaronfl Member

Loc:
    pennsylvania
    yeah i have seen them they just kinda look like hell. plus my doorways are small enough and im tall so i will definitely be banging my head into them
  14. micaaronfl

micaaronfl Member

Loc:
    pennsylvania
    also can u burn the merrimack with the doors open? so u can hear the crackle.
  15. shayes8888

shayes8888 New Member

Loc:
    I would not recommend burning with the doors open. besides, we can hear the crackle of the fire as it starts... once it gets going, you'll forget about the noise and catch yourself watching the flames. Besides, if you have the fan on high you won't hear much else! VC, please fix your fan noise!
  16. obrien040362

obrien040362 New Member

Loc:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Dura Vent Kit

This is what I got for $495. Could of bought for $408, but I didn't know what to buy. So i guess I happy, just wish it was 316 sst.

Flex Kit 6DF304-15K

3 Spacers 6DFS-S 4668 (these look galvanized)

Note: my items were 304 sst. It also comes in 316 sst (better stainless grade)

I will report on the $835 install on saturday. If it only takes him 2 hours i am going to be pissed.

Also, the Dura Vent box say if you buy on the internet the warrenty is void.

Saturday Install

3 men 1.5 hours for $835. They did a good job but the price is just rediculas. They did not use the spacers since these are for a round pipe in a round flue. They did not seal where the damper was located. They sealed at the top of the chimney.
  17. obrien040362

obrien040362 New Member

Loc:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Did anyone have there installer install a liner plate at the level on the damper frame to seal the chimney to the pipe?
  18. obrien040362

obrien040362 New Member

Loc:
    Dayton, Ohio
    do you use a log grate or just lay the logs on the floor and angle to the sides to prop the up a little?
  19. obrien040362

obrien040362 New Member

Loc:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Any sugestions for a Merimack Thermometer?
  20. VCBurner

VCBurner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Templeton, MA
    Congrats! Where are the pics?
  21. micaaronfl

micaaronfl Member

Loc:
    pennsylvania
    does anyone have contact information for vermont castings? email address ? there site doesnt have any just a thing to contact your dealer.
  22. vector1701

vector1701 Member

Loc:
    The only thing I could find was:

62 Vermont Casting Road
    Bethel, VT 05032
    802-234-2300

and

149 Cleveland Drive
    Paris, Kentucky 40361
    1 (800) 525-1898
  23. VCBurner

VCBurner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Templeton, MA
    I hate to say it but that's probably all you'll be able to find on them. They are notorious for being near impossible to contact. Yes dealers are supposed to deal with all issues. I love my Vc DW but I can't speak for the customer service personally. I bought mine used and have never tried to deal with any warranty issues. I tried to seek help from the company while trying to chose between two of their stoves, but could not get a response.

Maybe someone will chime in with a different response. Good luck!
  24. fmer55

fmer55 New Member

Loc:
    bay shore, ny
    i have a montpelier which i love, in case you are not familiar it is a bit smaller than the merrimack, but do not believe the house fan argument unless the intake is very close to the stove, i am in a 2000ft home 1000 on one side, then a hallway then a turn into the other 1000or so, have a second heating unit in the back half which is always running. i figure i heat teh front 1500 witht he stovve but the far reaches will be about 67 s compared to the 77 in the 1000 ft open to where the stove is. in two weeks i am getting some corner fans installed and will keep you advised of how they work, but hallways and broken floor plans are NOT fun when trying to eliminate the oil or gas man
  25. fmer55

fmer55 New Member

Loc:
    bay shore, ny
    unfortunately i don not think they are going to deal with the fan issue, the issue has been the same on the montpelier which was there first insert three years ago. WPB adressed the flimsy casing and the vibration as the cause of the sound and that was the case with the montpelier. had to wedge something underneath it to deaden the vibration and the noise went down dramatically. really seems silly that i had to do that nd they cant figure it out. with that and my last post i must say i love the stove. i wish i would have waited another year because i love the bigger fire box int eh merrimac. been 25 hear for two days adn the front of the house stays at 68 with the front furnace dormant. wife just got our most recent gas billl(which we are on a plan for, meaning we pay the same all year round) and after a full year of burning my gas usage went down by 50pct. and i think the usage for the pool heater went up. haha...when are they going to make a stove to heat my pool?