Vermont Castings New Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mainemac

Hearth Supporter
Mar 10, 2008
Maine
Hello Gang

My buddy is looking at a new stove
Local store pushing him to buy VC

I thought this was a bad idea based on service parts and recent track record?
They also carry Jotul which enjoys a better reputation on this site anyway.

Tom

Maybe do a search on here for the many VC problems, print them out for him?

I know of a local store that carried both VC and Jotul. When VC changed ownership and increasingly had quality and service issues, the store did NOT push people into VC stoves, they dropped the VC line entirely! Your buddy may end up with a VC that works great, but he could also end up shelling out parts money in a few years. I would check out another shop.

mainemac said:
Hello Gang

My buddy is looking at a new stove
Local store pushing him to buy VC

I thought this was a bad idea based on service parts and recent track record?
They also carry Jotul which enjoys a better reputation on this site anyway.

Tom

What stove model?

VC or Jotul . . . easy choice for me . . . and that's the way I went . . . Jotul.

VC had . . . and may again . . . have a good reputation . . . but in the past few years the issues with warrantys not being honored, faulty and expensive parts and the change in ownership and the questions it raises was not enough to make me buy a VC . . . despite their stellar reputation in the past and their fine looks.

Liked the look and reputation of old VCs, did some research, went with Jotul, couldn't be happier.

I recently went to a dealer that carried both Jotul and VC. They also tried pushing VC on me as well. he clearly had more VC in stock than Jotul so I think that was the reason. Needless to say I went with another dealer. He had multiple brands and just tried to educate me on the various ones without pushing one particular type.

RSNovi said:
He had multiple brands and just tried to educate me on the various ones without pushing one particular type.

This is the type of retailer you want to find, whatever you're buying. Sometimes a retailer will promote and give a little edge to a high-margin brand which also happens to be his highest quality brand. I have no problem with that, either. But it is funny how some people just want the salesman to make the decision for them, without doing their homework.

Status
Not open for further replies.