Vermont castings versus Pacific energy- any recommendations?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heath2070

Hearth Supporter
Dec 7, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
Hi there all, I am looking to get a small insert for the add-on at the back of my house (single level ranch). The room is about 1000 sqft. I am comparing the Vermont Castings WinterWarm and the Pacific Energy Vista. I want to get one before the tax credit expires.

Any recommendation on which unit? Any help is appreciated.

That is a big room, is it well insulated and little glass? Between these two choices, I would go with the PE stove. Though maybe consider the mid-sized Pacific insert if the room is open to the rest of the house.

There's a back door and french doors out onto the deck and 2 small sky lights in the roof. One doorway sized entry into the main part of the house via kitchen. As it is right now I can't hardly stand to go back there because its so cold. There are no vents run into it from the main house, so no a/c in summer and no heat in winter.

I'd get a bigger stove. It will burn longer and you are going to need some btus with steady burning to warm up the place. It takes extra heat to make a big difference until the room temp and all its contents have equalized in temperature. Look at some 2 cu ft models.

Status
Not open for further replies.