Vermont castings Vigilant vs Englander 30NC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This will be my 3rd winter with the 30. How long is your chimney/stove pipe. I have a 25' run and very good draft. I've noticed that with excessive draft and dry wood this stove has 3 heat settings.

Hot
Really Hot
Surface of the sun.

Don't worry though, this thing will handle 850 degree stove top temps all day long. The 30 is a larger stove and larger stoves tend to be more fickle about wood moisture. I've found that my 30 really likes wood under 20%. The 20-25% stuff is a pain to get started.

Good luck, you'll enjoy the stove!

A surface temp gauge that far up the flue on Double wall will only read about 1/3 actual temp unless it is a probe type. A stove top reading of 600 will equate to about 250+ a couple foot above the stove ( double wall) using my infrared temp gun, 750 will read about 350-400. ( I get skittish after that point as I had a runaway many years ago, different stove). Numbers from my NC30. Extended time 400+ cruise is kinda normal for me, lot depends on the fuel used.
Right now using a bunch of Willow for shoulder burns will not hit the 650 temps on that, but does cruise at around 300 stove top surface gauge, centered at the step. More than enough for present conditions. 2000 sqft ranch.

This will be my 3rd winter with the 30. How long is your chimney/stove pipe. I have a 25' run and very good draft. I've noticed that with excessive draft and dry wood this stove has 3 heat settings.

Hot
Really Hot
Surface of the sun.

Don't worry though, this thing will handle 850 degree stove top temps all day long. The 30 is a larger stove and larger stoves tend to be more fickle about wood moisture. I've found that my 30 really likes wood under 20%. The 20-25% stuff is a pain to get started.

Good luck, you'll enjoy the stove!
My chimney is 15'. Have not started it up yet. Did you order your moisture meter on line? If so where can I get one? Thx. I seem to have a very good draft. Straight run

I had an old Vigilant and I replaced it with a 30 last summer.

The heat output is very different. The Vigilant puts out scorching that can warm even the most drafty rooms, but that heat doesn't seem to travel very far. The Heat from the 30 isn't as harsh (it does crank out heat, though), but the heat seems to circulate far better than the Vigilant was able to do.

Burn times are far better, especially during the shoulder season. Packed tight with dry wood, you can maintain stove temps of 250 degrees or more for twelve hours.

Air controls are far better. No more spikes and crashes associated with the Vigilant. Get the 30 burning well and begin to cut off the air slowly and you should be able to have the 30 running at 600-750 for several hours.

Full consumption. That depends upon your burning methods and needs. You should see a drop. How much will vary on a lot of factors. Even if your fuel consumption doesn't drop, it is still a far easier stove to live with.
Do you use the blower on yours or do you use the heat fans to help distribute the heat?

A surface temp gauge that far up the flue on Double wall will only read about 1/3 actual temp unless it is a probe type. A stove top reading of 600 will equate to about 250+ a couple foot above the stove ( double wall) using my infrared temp gun, 750 will read about 350-400. ( I get skittish after that point as I had a runaway many years ago, different stove). Numbers from my NC30. Extended time 400+ cruise is kinda normal for me, lot depends on the fuel used.
Right now using a bunch of Willow for shoulder burns will not hit the 650 temps on that, but does cruise at around 300 stove top surface gauge, centered at the step. More than enough for present conditions. 2000 sqft ranch.
My temp gauge is magnetic and up 8" on flue. I heard that the blower is a little noisy. Have not run it yet. Thinking of buying one if those heat operated fans to put on top of stove.

I thought they were coming with a blower now.

I don't have a blower. A wise owl once told me to strategically place small cheap-o fans, and that has worked great.

I thought they were coming with a blower now.

I don't have a blower. A wise owl once told me to strategically place small cheap-o fans, and that has worked great.
Yes your right, it does come with blower. I actually just fired her up this morning for the first time. I have the blower on low. It does create a small fan type noise but really not to bad. I will still purchase the Eco heat fan to distribute the heat. Much more economical since it uses no electricity. Very happy with stove so far.

Sorry, you did mention that earlier. I forgot that halfway through the thread. short attention span. There have been long threads about the potential of the Eco fan. I would do a search.

I think mine will get the first use of the season tonight

Get those 30's burned off and ready to go for the heat season. They are a smokey, stinky lot. For whatever reason they off gas far more than my Isle Royale did. I just helped a buddy fire his up a few days ago. I am glad we could throw the doors and windows open.

600 on the stove top right in front of the pipe is cruising temp for that stove. I replaced my smoke dragon VC Defiant with a 30NC and love it. I am not sure that it heats better or more space(the Defiant was a beast too) but it is much more efficient and IMO safer and easier to use. Knock on firewood but I have never had anything close to a run away fire in this stove and it lights easy, burns cleanly and heats my home well. Once you get used to the stove I think you will like it a lot.

Set that therm right on the stove top in front of your pipe.

Get those 30's burned off and ready to go for the heat season. They are a smokey, stinky lot. For whatever reason they off gas far more than my Isle Royale did. I just helped a buddy fire his up a few days ago. I am glad we could throw the doors and windows open.
Yes your right. Had to open windows. A bit stinky but must tell you that I am very pleased with the heat. House is very toasty.

600 on the stove top right in front of the pipe is cruising temp for that stove. I replaced my smoke dragon VC Defiant with a 30NC and love it. I am not sure that it heats better or more space(the Defiant was a beast too) but it is much more efficient and IMO safer and easier to use. Knock on firewood but I have never had anything close to a run away fire in this stove and it lights easy, burns cleanly and heats my home well. Once you get used to the stove I think you will like it a lot.

Set that therm right on the stove top in front of your pipe.
I can't imagine the heat I will get once I get my 30 too cruise around 500 to 600. Quite toasty with it cruising at 300. Woohoo!

I can't imagine the heat I will get once I get my 30 too cruise around 500 to 600. Quite toasty with it cruising at 300. Woohoo!

If you think it is toasty at 300 you are in for a real eye opener when that sucker hits 650 on a fresh load.:eek:

Do you use the blower on yours or do you use the heat fans to help distribute the heat?
Neither. I have the blower but I didn't enjoy using it. I'll give it a try again this year and see if I change my mind.

By "heat fans" I am assuming you mean the stove top fans that run on surface temps. I had one of those, but it died on me a few years back.

There is also a pretty big difference between October and January when it comes to temps and heating.

I had an old Vigilant and I replaced it with a 30 last summer.

The heat output is very different. The Vigilant puts out scorching that can warm even the most drafty rooms, but that heat doesn't seem to travel very far. The Heat from the 30 isn't as harsh (it does crank out heat, though), but the heat seems to circulate far better than the Vigilant was able to do.

Burn times are far better, especially during the shoulder season. Packed tight with dry wood, you can maintain stove temps of 250 degrees or more for twelve hours.

Air controls are far better. No more spikes and crashes associated with the Vigilant. Get the 30 burning well and begin to cut off the air slowly and you should be able to have the 30 running at 600-750 for several hours.

Full consumption. That depends upon your burning methods and needs. You should see a drop. How much will vary on a lot of factors. Even if your fuel consumption doesn't drop, it is still a far easier stove to live with.

Been waiting to see how that 30 worked for you. Sounds like good results. Is it in that big fireplace?

I have never had anything close to a run away fire in this stove
You might read a couple of BrotherBart's threads on this; I think he now keeps an extra pair of undershorts within easy reach of the stove. ==c

Reactions: lopiliberty
Been waiting to see how that 30 worked for you. Sounds like good results. Is it in that big fireplace?
Yeah, it's in the big fireplace.

It met expectations, but I need to better manage my burning habits. With, essentially, two new large stoves to work with last year I wasted a lot of wood screwing around and figuring out what type of burns I could get.

This year I will be burning a little differently and I will also use oil, or pick up a space heater or two, for certain parts of the year.

This coming summer begins the slow process of insulation. I'm going to try hay bales on the outside walls of certain sections of the house to see if I am getting heat loss from underneath the flooring. Insulating will not be a quick and simple solution for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. Getting settled in with new stoves, especially big ones eats a lot of wood in the process. Been there etc.

I am doing the same thing with avoiding lighting off and wasting heat. Playing with the pellet basket and the space heaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.