Vermont castings Vigilant vs Englander 30NC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. Getting settled in with new stoves, especially big ones eats a lot of wood in the process. Been there etc.

I am doing the same thing with avoiding lighting off and wasting heat. Playing with the pellet basket and the space heaters.
What type of heaters are you running over there?

I have oil filled radiators in each of the eight rooms in case I ever need them for backup. It hasn't ever happened but I test using one down stairs and one up stairs every year in case I might have to not be here to heat the joint. The test usually lasts just until I can't stand the pain of watching the whole house electricity usage monitor and then the 30 springs to life.

The pellets come from me putting the 25-PDVC in the basement a couple of years ago so I could just warm the basement up as needed if I needed to be doing something down there. Which is rare since I don't have my office down there anymore. I went nuts and bought three tons of pellets fairly cheap and stacked them down there then.

Now on mild nights I burn them in a basket in the 30 upstairs to take the chill off of the joint. Worthless for serious heating times but they get the bad boy hot and it holds heat for the mild nights after they go out. Ten thousand little logs in coal stage after the flames die. Kinda funny to watch.

I'm still thinking of doing an add-on pellet to my boiler. Something to keep the whole house at a certain temp and then use the stoves to get it up to a comfortable level. Not sure yet. Depends upon what happens with the insulation and what improvements can be made.

Long term, maintaining three stoves just ain't in the future unless this place gets a whole lot less drafty. And right now, I can not guarantee it will improve to what I needed it to.

I intended to install the Englander wood furnace as an add on to the heat pump back in 1986 when I decided to install the Sierra insert. If they would ever make the damn thing an efficient re-burner I would probably still do it. One heater evenly heating the whole joint.

But it is still the same old furnace it was in 1986. And that heat pump died from lack of use in the nineties. Only kept it alive for air conditioning until I realized that two little window units cooled the joint better for half the electricity.

Status
Not open for further replies.