Vermont stove installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollybry

Aug 22, 2010
Southern Indiana
We got a Vermont stove shelburne model for our home a couple of years ago from a homeowner that wanted it removed from their house. We have been using it in our home, more or less, as a freestanding unit. We have it on a brick hearth. We are in the process of refinancing our home and had to have a home inspection. The inspector stated the stove needed to be enclosed. We don't know what needs to be done to enclose this stove. There is no information on the Internet since Vermont stove went out of business in the late '80's. Is this a masonry stove, meaning we would have to build a stone or brick enclosure? If it is, then we are not going to be able to do that as our floor would not be able to take the substantial weight involved in making this type of enclosure. Can it be enclosed with the concrete drywall stuff? Please, any help or information would be greatly appreciated. We have the brochure of the stove and sale receipt from when it was purchased by the original homeowner in 1983, but not the installation/owners manual.

Greetings Holly. Can you post a picture or two of the current hearth and stove installation? That would help us see what the current situation is like and what the options are. This sounds like a pre-EPA insert stove. If so, it is not meant to installed or run as a freestanding unit.

Okay, I have attached pictures. We took the flu down to replace the top knot (long story), that is why you do not see a flu attached. It sits on top of fire bricks. We put it up high for easier loading. This setup was intended as a temporary installation until we figured out how to enclose it.
I have also attached the brochure.

Attachments

• 100_1013.jpg
    100_1013.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 459
  • 100_1014.jpg
    100_1014.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 475
  • 100_1015.jpg
    100_1015.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 446
Well, the brochure kind of says it. This is an insert. It is not meant to be used outside of a masonry fireplace enclosure. I would expect that it has not been tested or approved for the current usage. We can make recommendations but that doesn't mean the inspector is going to be happy with them.

Seems like it's time to consider a different stove. For now I would get rid of it and have no stove for the inspection. Make the new stove with a proper flue part of the refinance package if possible.

Crud. That is exactly what I DIDNT want to hear. This is the best wood burning stove I have ever experienced. It burns wood really, really well. It heats our home wonderfully. Getting a fire started in this stove is absolutely the easist in the world. I would still like to hear your suggestions on enclosing this unit. I don't have the cash right now to spend on a freestanding unit, and I would really like to keep this one.

From what I've read, it was a nicely made insert. But it was not designed to be installed in anything but a masonry fireplace. Building a fireplace to house it would not be cost effective and it is outside of my skill set.

That said, one thing you could try is to ask your inspector if he would approve the stove if it had NFPA 211 wall shielding. That still doesn't cover the requirements or cost of a proper hearth, so he may not. Hard to say. If he is flexible, we can provide details on how to build the wall shield. But ultimately, this is his decision. I'd hate to see you go through all of this work and still find that it is not approved.

Ya, you definitely want to talk to the guy and see if there is anything you can do to satisfy his inspection requirements short of building an entire masonry fireplace around it. I'm glad you're enjoying the unit and I'm sorry to hear you're in this situation. If it's any consolation there are plenty of modern freestanding units which will give you the same burning experience as this model.

I really appreciate your responses so quickly! Is there no way to enclose this unit without going the masonry way? We do plan on speaking with an inspector tomorrow to see what he has to say. Just wanted to be "armed" with an idea of an enclosure to approach him with.

I put an ad up on craigslist in the wanted section for a freestanding wood stove, hoping to find one local and cheap to buy. I have had someone respond stating they had a montgomery ward franklin wood stove. I have never heard of this brand before. Is it a good brand? Does it seal good? They wanted $300. Is that too high?

Hi Holly

Here is a pic of my Franklin left in my house when I moved in 23 years ago! It is free standing but it is NOT airtight and does not have a blower. Therefore it does not give good heat. It is more of an antique these days. Since then I had a Vermont Castings Federal Consolidated Dutch West Cast Iron Coal/Wood stove which is still being made. However last year I sold it and purchased an Avalon Astoria Pellet Stove. Even though the Federal Ductch West was a heater, nothing blows heat like a wood pellet stove!!!!

Attachments

• FranklinWoodStoveSC1.jpg
    FranklinWoodStoveSC1.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 364
The Franklin will not burn as well as the Vermont stove. The installation pictured above gives a visual clue. It is more like an open fireplace with doors. Note the above installation does not appear to be correct either. The stove and flue pipe appear to be too close to combustibles.

Hello

It does have the right amount of clearance and now there is cement board and porcalin tile over the studs!
<<<<< See current pic with Wood pellet Stove!!

Yes, that's a big improvement Don.

Don2222 said:
Even though the Federal Ductch West was a heater, nothing blows heat like a wood pellet stove!!!!

I beg to differ my friend. A wood stove with a good blower will kick a pellet stove's butt for blowing heat. I know. I own both.

hello Brother Bart

I guess it really depends upon the wood stove and the pellet stove used. In my case the pellet stove throws out more heat than my old Federal Consolidated Duch West Vermont Castings did.

What wood stove are you refering too?

Status
Not open for further replies.